Worried about my 7 month old grandson....

Need help! My son and his live in girl friend are having problems....
They do not communicate well and have decided to go there seperate ways. The problem is that they have a 7 month old baby (my first grandson) and I am head over heels with the baby. The baby is with me Thursday thru Sunday of each week. My son's girlfriend is moving back home with her mother. I have heard that the house is always a mess. The other grandmother wanted her daughter to have an abortion when she found out her daughter became pregnant. The other grandmother has a toddler of her own that 2 other teen age girls. I wanted to offer having temporary custody of the baby until they can both work out their issues and get a fresh start. They are both young and really not ready to be parents. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can offer, but it will ultimately be up to them.
    Anonymous

• First of being young doesnt make you bad parents! Who is ever really ready to be a parent? It comes as you learn! Everybody and anybody no matter what age can have problems in a relationship! Just because you have heard rumors, doesnt make them true! Suggesting an abortion, could most likely have been out of shock. Doesnt mean that she wont love the child now! You can offer to take custody but they will most likely just get angery with you, and could possibly keep you from seeing the baby. But I think you are being judgemental, and you are starting problems that are not needed. Just be the Grandmother!
    Anonymous

• This is tough, but you need to realize a few things here.
    1. You heard the house is a mess. But have you seen it? A messy house doesn't equal bad parents
    2. The other mother wanted an abortion - this sucks, but sometimes people have that initial reaction to an unplanned pregnancy. It doens't in any way mean they don't love and adore the child and totally regret that thought later.
    3. They are both young and not ready to be parents - who is ever REALLY ready for a child?

My thoughts are you want what is best for the child but need to look at it from another perspective. Is your grandson's mother really that bad? Most often I feel the baby is best with their mother, as long as that person wants the baby of course.
    Anonymous

• You won't get custody based on those things. SOmething has to be really wrong for a parent to lose custody of their child, my sister had a baby addicted to drugs and after a few classes, even she was given back custody.
    Anonymous