for those who live with their in laws

do you ever deal with a lack of privacy even in your own room. I live with boyfriend and his parents and his mother feels like she can walk in our room whenever she wants. I know a lot of my frustration comes from being pregnant but come on am i really overreacting about not having any privacy?

jessiesosore

Asked by jessiesosore at 6:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Nope, I would get naked everytime you go into your room, and let her walk in on you like that, and suggest that your SO do the same. Maybe then she will learn to knock.

OR get a lock for your door.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• agree with first post...LOL
    get a lock
    also if ur about to have a baby ur gonna get the, "your not doing it right" speeches and blah blah blah so I think you should look into gettinng your own place because u are living in her house so technically she can go in whatevr room she wants.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My fathers that way he would knock and open the door at the same time i was furious so we put locks on the bedroom door and flat out said do not open door with out our permission and i than said if you have an issue with that than i guess your S... out of luck
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• we have a lock...if she can't get the door open she will just keep trying...she broke our last lock that way. and our new one is almost broken too.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 6:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My son, DIL, and grandbaby live with me. My son lost his job and can't find another. My DIL just found a job for just a little over minimum wage. My son was making $50,000+.

They have 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. We live in Tucson where the temps get up to 110. That is the only part of the house that has AC. I am the only one that is home pretty much 24/7 with no AC. I don't even go in their rooms without asking when they aren't here and I'm about to pass out (lliterally) from the heat.

My son does tell me I can go in the bedroom that has a reclining chair and read. When I'm watching the baby we can go in there for his naps or when he is breaking out with heat rash. I don't mess with their stuff.

It is very rude of your boyfriend's mother to come in your room. Send me her email and I will tell her!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If you're paying any kind of rent, she has no right to even THINK she should go in there.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 6:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• We don't pay rent but when they need help with bills my bf helps them out. and she doesn't have e-mail...the whole house is ac. thank you guys for the help.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 6:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• M-O-V-E O-U-T.

You think it's hard now? HAHA...wait until the baby arrives! Get out before your baby is born. She is going to take over your baby the minute you bring him/her home from the hospital.
    Anonymous

• We used to live with my MIL, but she never did anything like that. Maybe its time you have a talk with her. Surely she knows what couples do behind closed doors...even if you are pregnant.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• we are trying to move out but we don't have any money too...that is why we are living with her...every time we get some money saved up it disappears because they need help with this bill or that bill, I mean we had seven hundred dollars saved up at one time and it was gone in less than a month because the decided we needed to help them rather than save up our money to get out. They just frustrate me so much sometimes. I don't want to talk to my bf about it because he will just tell me there is nothing he can do about it. and for those of you who will say he needs to grow a pair and stand up to them...he already does but it doesn't do any good because they are the most stubborn people I know and make him feel like shit because he doesn't want to help.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 1:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2009