contractions

This is my first baby and I'm 27 weeks. My doctor told me to just be aware of pre-term labor and contractions. I'm afraid that I won't know what a contraction is or mistake it for something else. I'm sure I won't have to worry about this for a while but I'd just like to know what they feel like and how often they should be coming if (God forbid) they come too early.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you have any cramping that lasts for any amount of time longer than an hour, even if it is constant and not something you can time (like if they come and go) you need to call your doctor.

At 33 weeks I had what felt like strong menstrual cramps, they were constant, and it turns out I was in labor.

CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Mine felt like REALLY bad menstrual cramps. I was actually surprised they were contractions and I only knew it was contractions because they came every 5-10 minutes. But it definitly feels like its wrapping around your belly. You'll know trust me. But when it feels like muscles are balling up, those are braxton hicks...I always got those after having sex. But I'm sure you will know. If you feel them, call the dr and just tell them...they will guide you on what to do.
    Anonymous

• oh dont stress yourself out too much about it. you will probably even get some braxton hicks contractions pretty shortly here. it feels to me like when you flex your abs, but its not you doing it, they just automatically do it. just relax and breath. these ones dont even really hurt, its just a muscle flexing basically. if you get too many try taking a bath, drinking some cold water, and laying on your left side. the real ones (like labor contractions) are pretty unmistakeable, there is just nothin you can do but breath through them so you will know the diff. anyway congrats and good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 7:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• menstrual cramps thats what they fel like, you'll know if u have one and it lasts longer than like 30 seconds
    Anonymous