My 14 week old with sudden nighttime fussiness...help!

My 14 week old boy has recently started getting really irritable at night, normally around 6pm (two hours after he comes home from daycare) and it takes usually around 1 to 3 hours to get him to sleep. His swing that used to work magic no longer works for him, rocking back and forth in the rocking chair doesn't work and nothing else helps. He either falls asleep only to wake up screaming an hour later or he just keeps crying and crying and crying till it seems like he's exhausted himself to the point where he sleeps (usually not till 8 at night) and then he is out for the night till his 3am feeding. He only does this during the evening hours though! He's fine and very happy during the day! HELP!

capshcky11

Asked by capshcky11 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most all babies develop a "fussy time" and it's usually in the evening shortly before bedtime. Try a nice soothing bath with some night time bath gel, then try rocking him while you sing or read a book or just talk very gently and quietly to him. This always worked great with all 4 of mine. Sometimes it doesn't work and babies just feel like fussing & crying and it's an emotional release which calms their emotions and soothes themselves before sleeping.  Best Wishes!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• He could be teething. You may try some oragel (sparingly), it may help and see if that is the problem, I also use teehting tablets they work sometimes, I don't swear by them...
    kay81

Answer by kay81 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2009