Guns in America

It seems like there is much passion on both sides. So if you are in favor of guns, where does your view come from- sport, collector, protection?

Anti-gun, same question for you... where does your view come from? Experience, fear of injury....?

I am not sure where I am on this issue, so I thought I would get feedback from those passionate one way or another.

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Need to close this out as anything tnmom gets involved in goes downhill quickly. Thanks to you that answered the question. I appreciate your thoughts.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• sport, collector, protection

All of the above.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• pro-gun...protection only for me but my grandpa has guns for sport, protection, collecting, hunting for sure, and he's safe with his so I guess thats all good as well

im more

ANTI-DUMBASSES WHO CARRY GUNS...LOL
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Here is my experience with guns
    1. Neighbors daughter killed herself in a fit of rage with her parents gun
    2. Friend had gun in car for protection, pulled it during an argument, other person was not armed, judge felt his actions rose to point of wrecklessness not protection and he had his law license suspended
    3. Family friend and Holocaust survivor felt like if the Jewish citizens had guns, the holocaust would not have been so large and widespread

See why I am confused on where I stand?
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My husband and friends use guns for sport, collecting, and for protection. Because we remind ourself ....Guns do not kill people...People kill people. Yes, by the way all of it is locked in a gun case, locked on the trigger, the safety is on, and the bullets are put in another locked box in a locked closet away from the gun case. Yes, we do have one loaded gun that has no lock on it expect for the metal box that it is in. That is beside my husband side of the bed which only has one key . Which my husband and I are the only ones who knows were the key is hiding.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 6:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Neither. There's no such thing as black or white.

I don't care if someone wants a gun, or three dozen. I'm not interested in having one because it makes ME feel less safe to have one around. The klutzy have NO BUSINESS around firearms...that means me.

I don't get why sportsmen think they need something semi-automatic for hunting....if you can't get Bambi with a standard shotgun maybe you need another hobby. But I'm sure there's things I don't know.

I don't get collecting guns...but I don't "get" collecting anyway so that's neither here nor there.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Been an avid gun enthusiast for a while. My background included military and police in my family. I have always been taught how to handle and be safe around guns. As do my 8 and 6 yr old daughters. They will be taught how to shoot as soon as I get a proper gun for them. I use my gun for protection. I love to shoot it. I abide by the law and always will. I don't trust the world we live in today to keep me safe. I do not trust police in my city to do their jobs. As all they do is use their authority for a power trip. Law abiding citizens follow laws. Guns will never go away. If you chose not to own one, thats up to you. But do not infringe on my right to own one. Just speaking in general.
    navyma23

Answer by navyma23 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I guess if there were no guns in the world we might not have a problem but since that is unreasonable I really think it's not the guns that are the problem. It's the people and how they choose to use them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• "sport, collector, protection," all three, plus putting food on the table.

"I don't get why sportsmen think they need something semi-automatic for hunting....if you can't get Bambi with a standard shotgun maybe you need another hobby. But I'm sure there's things I don't know."

1-I'm left-handed, most rifles and shotguns are bolt-action which can't be operated left-handed. So I own a semi-auto 3006. My semi-auto only shoots one bullet, just like my DH's bolt-action. My semi-auto shotgun holds 3 shots, my DH's double-barreled shot gun holds 2.  You are confusing semi-autos with fully automatic weapons.  They are no way the same thing.

2-You don't shoot mule deer or elk with shotguns.  A full-grown bull elk is HUGE.  Shotguns are usually used for bird hunting. 

Just FYI.  :-)

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I have no interest in owning a gun and my husband does not want one. We believe in everyone who is not a criminal having the right to keep and bear arms. There should not be restrictions other than for felons or the mentally ill who have been proven to be a danger.  Gun control only helps criminals and will not stop crime or murder rates. 

Anonymous