Can I get rid of my daughter's thrush naturally?

I THINK my DD might have thrush on her lips and tongue. I'm REALLY not comfortable with her being on meds, so is there ANYTHING that's natural I can do to help her? Her lips and tongue don't seem to bother her, so maybe I'm reacting a little, but I wanna nip this in the butt before it gets any worse. Oh, and I called her doctor to ask her what she thought, but she never got back to me.

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not really she needs to go see a dr and get an antibiotic
    Anonymous

• Gentian violet is a natural remedy that works great for thrush. My youngest and I had thrush 3 times, the first two times we were perscribed Nystatin (an antifungal Rx), it did not work. The third time I called the lactation consultant and she recommended GV. You can get it otc at a pharmacy or a natural foods store. I was told to use a q-tip to swab it all around the baby's mouth, inside the cheeks, the tounge, gums, everywhere. Then either swab your nipples or nurse right away so you get some GV on you as well, or you might just end up passing it back and forth between you. I swabbed once a day for 7 days and it cleared it right up. It is very, very messy though. The GV is a very dark purple and it will stain skin and clothing, I found that by nursing right after swabbing it kept him from drooling it too badly. But wear old clothes and have old clothes on baby too, and lots of bibs to catch the drool. Good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Thrush is a fungal infection, antibiotics will do nothing. She needs either an Rx antifungal, which does not always work and quite often needs repeat treatments, or GV, or talk to your Dr or LC about other natural treatments.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Well the first poster is dead wrong even a doc wouldn't give an antibiotic for thrush. An antifungul yes. Se eif you can get some genetian violet and if you are nusring you need to treat your breasts too even if you don't have symptoms. The nystatin did not work 3 times for us so we called the lactation consultant who recommended GV too. It made a mess, but it worked. Oh and if you are nursing you need to cut down on the sugar to help.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i had the same problem. i bought the GV for my DD and i was scared to put it in her mouth because it said "for external use only" on the bottle. lolz so after every feeding, i just took a wet wash rag and wiped her mouth out. it cleared up.
    Anonymous