infant headrest for car seat?

I used a double headrest with the carseat for both of my older sons. I just bought a new one for their younger brother due in Sept. While talking to my mom, she told me to return the headrest b/c there now is a risk of suffocation if we get into a wreck or something. She said that we can use rolled up cloth diapers/receiving blankets instead but only up to his shoulders. How can I keep his head from bopping around ? Has anyone else heard this? Should I return it?

tabbykat6802

Asked by tabbykat6802 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never had a problem with mine. It was wonderful and if you have used them before, its your decision to keep using them. My son loved his and as soon as he was 5 months, we took it out. I have never heard that and I honestly don't see how its possible. Their made as small as possible to prevent their head from bopping around and hurting them and I honestly believe they would save your childs life during an accident because with just a blanket rolled up,I'd think there would be more of a chance of them breaking their neck. I wouldn't return it but that is just my opinion and it's really up to you if you think your child would be safer with one.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 7:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• no odont return it it has straps too make sure it dont do that so ya keep it if it dont have straps take it bak...
    BriannaBopp

Answer by BriannaBopp at 7:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• YES return it, your mom is right, the headrest is called an after market product meaning it was not tested with the seat or by the seats manufacturer in crash tests, because of this it could cause issues with the straps fitting correctly, it could move in a crash, anything. Rolled up blankets are safe because in a crash if they move they will leave the seat..heres info on it
    http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/bb/buying_car_seat.htm
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/aftermarket.aspx
    http://www.carsafety4kids.com/aftermarket.html
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safedrivers/childsafety/notices/d200401/menu.htm
    NO its not illegal for them to sell them or illegal for you to use them, if your seat fails it will not be the manufacturers fault and using them risks your childs life, ask the car seat safety group
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• After market products are not crash tested with the specific car seat being used with them, so if you use them you are voiding the warrenty on your car seat #1 secondly they may make the straps loose even when they seem tight, in general you would be using your baby as a crash test dummy with the car seat using a product that has not been tested with it.

If you were to take your car seat to a car seat check the techs would make you take out all the aftermarket products and throw them out they will not allow you to leave with them in. they are dangerous and unneeded.

Use a rolled up receiving blanket on either side of the baby for head support or use the head support that comes with the seat. (if it has one which most do.)But never use an extra one that you purchased separately.

HTH
    JUFINOMA

Answer by JUFINOMA at 8:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I agree with PP! Good luck with your new bundle!
    sunnyflower417

Answer by sunnyflower417 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I absolutely agree with tabi-cat and jufinoma, no aftermarket products!
    mama2mycuties

Answer by mama2mycuties at 11:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• they are not tested. they are not safe. trust me, you always have extra receiving blankets with babies! use one of those.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:27 AM on Jul. 16, 2009