WHAT CAN I BUY OVER THE COUNTER FOR MY SON?

MY SON IS 3 MONTHS N 1 DAY OLD HE HAS A LIL ISSUE WITH POOPING EVERYDAY, WELL HE ISSUE IS HE DOESNT POOP EVERYDAY HE ONLY POOPS LIKE EVERY 3 DAS OR 4 DAYS HE HAS BEEN TO THE DOCTOR THEY SAID TO GIVE HIM 2 OZ OF APPLEJUICE A DAY TILL HE POOPS IT WORKS AND HE CRIES TO POOP BUT THEN ITS RIGHT BACK TO THE SAME ISSUE AGAIN, SO IS THERE ANY OTHER REMEDY YOU MOMS MAY HAVE OR IS IT SOME OVER THE COUNTER STOOL SOFTNERS I CAN BUT HIM

dbarkley101306

Asked by dbarkley101306 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can buy glycerin suppositories over the counter....ask the pharmacist on duty which one they recommend.

If apple juice proves to be too harsh, try white grape juice....has the same effect but is much more gentle.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• pediatric nurse- he does not need to poop every day.. every 3-4 days is perfectly healthy. constipation is when he does not poop for at least a week or two and its hard round pellets that are really dry. his body is just learning how to work. give it time . but home remedies a tablespoon of karo syrup in 3oz water (or bottle) taking a suction fill it with warm water and um release the water up the rectum. (be prepared for the aftermath on that one) but petroleum jelly on a thermometer and insert up the rectum and wiggle a little.
    Anonymous

• My son has had this issue since birth and here is what we do, and by the way he is exactly your ds's age. First of all I dont care what they say about not going for days, that may be true for long term damage b ut it hurts them and they are crabby so ...I give my ds 1 teas dark karo syrup(generic is fine) 3 times a day in a 4 ounce bottle. Do it 3 spereate bottles, not all at once obviously. Also try stimulating him rectally as anon said, if that doesnt work take a glicerin suppository and cut it in half lengthwise and coat the tip in vaseline. BUT do not do it everyday as they then cant go without it. Try changing to good start if you can, it helps alot, and also do not by any otc laxitive drops or softeners they are way too little and you can cause problems for them. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• thank u all 4 the help the karo syrup has done him some good now he poops without the fuss but still 2 or 3 days apart
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2009