My daughter wants to work out everyday... is this okay?

My daughter is 12 and wants a flat stomach so she wants to come to the gym with me everyday. I think it's okay as long as she doesn't over-do it. We are all trying to get in shape. She isn't obssessed with this or anything, but she made this schedule and I'm not sure if it's too much... what do you guys think?

Monday: 2 miles on the treadmill.
Weights in front 10x, side 10x, behind head 15x (repeat 3x).
Push-ups.
Pull-ups.

Tuesday: 2 miles on the treadmill.
10 lunges per leg.
10 squats x3.

Wednesday: 2 miles on the treadmill.
15x3 crunches on yoga ball.
30x2 normal crunches.
15x3 front leg lifts.
5x3 knees-to-chest machine.

Thursday: 2 miles on the treadmill.
Push-ups.
Pull-ups.

Friday: 2 miles on the treadmill.
10 lunges per leg.
10 squats x3.

Saturda

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sorry, ran out of room.
    Saturday: 2 miles on the treadmill.
    15x3 crunches on yoga ball.
    30x2 normal crunches.
    15x3 front leg lifts.
    5x3 knees-to-chest machine.

Sunday: 2 miles on the treadmill.
    Anonymous

• oh for goodness sakes YES that is too much and you knew it before you asked. She has to have a day in between to rest or do a workout every other day and walk on alternate days. You will let her damage her muscles like that? You know better. Moderation is a key if you don't know that.
    Anonymous

• Wow...thats a good schedule. I think I'm gonna "steal" it and use it myself. I'm in the Army and trying to max my PT test! Sorry, I can't help more. I don't know if its too much for a 12 year old or not. Good luck
    Anonymous

• Running every day is not good for you. it is best to do cardio one day and strength training on the opposite day. that way ot gives your muscles a break. If not she may find herself in quite a bit of pain. it also recommended to take one day off from doing heavy exercising.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 8:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Okay, so it scares me a little for a twelve year old...but from a professional standpoint, I don't know how healthy or unhealthy it is for that age.
    Anonymous

• wait, I just realized she is using a 7 day a week schedule. Yes that is too much. She needs a break and a chance for her muscles to relax. I would use the weekend to rest. But 5 days is okay....cardio one day, muscle failure the next, cardio another day, muscle failure the next...rotating them. Well, thats what we do in the Army anyway. But I don't know about a 12 year old. wow...that would be alot for someone so young...IMO.
    Anonymous

• That' seems a bit extreme to me. I would start with the treadmill maybe a mile with some crunhes and squats. I also would start with 3x a week instead of everyday. I know she's twelve but how active was she before this? That will have a lot to do with how much she can do.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Anon by the time you get to your PT test your body will be maxed out. I know I have seen it happen. There is a reason why the people in charge of PT do not have you go running everyday. The sit ups and push ups I can see being done every day, we always had to do ten of each before running.
    Oh Make sure she stretches before and after the work out.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 8:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If your worried ask her doctor.
    Anonymous

• That is way too much for a 12 yr. old and I am sorry it does sound like she is obsessed. Is there a personal trainer perhaps at the gym that could help her make a more appropriate schedule for her age or maybe even her gym teacher. If she really wants to do this then hearing it from a professional instead of her mom might convince her more of the right routine.
    Anonymous