When your pregnant do you have to sleep on your left side cause I cant get comfortable.

Im 21 weeks pregnant and I was told that you have to sleep on your left side. My hip goes numb and I cant feel it so then I have to switch sides, and sometimes Im only comfortable on my back which I know is a no no while pregnant.

Deanna84

Asked by Deanna84 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its supposed to be better for you to be mostly on your left side but I will tell you now I laid alot on my right and on my back the whole pregnancy my hips would always go numb
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• You don't have to sleep on your left side, but it is strongly recommended because it's better for your circulation. Sleep however it makes you comfortable, just not on your belly lol.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• you only HAVE to sleep on your left side if you have high blood pressure, if you have low or normal blood pressure then its okay to sleep on your back uptil birth, however if you are laying on your back and feel light headed then thats a sign that you should not sleep on your back, your body will tell you when its dangerous.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• babycenter.com and under pregnancy there is lisys of things to look at about pregnancy like sleep positions and tells u why not to sleep on ur back cause of a vein that like pumps blood to ur legs and heart
    Anonymous

• I know that is how I am, I'm 23 weeks and if I only sleep on just my right or left side my hips will hurt so bad the next day I won't want to get out of bed. I am pretty bony around there anyways so probably not helping my case. I know one thing I do is put a pillow behind my back to kind of keep me on my side but I still get the feeling of being on my back. It keeps the one side higher than the rest. At least it usually does... till I can't get comfortable again.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2009