• In the Spotlight:

relaxing my hair while prego

I am about 21 weeks and have really curly hair and want to use a relaxer on it, does anyone know if this will hurt the baby at all?

mizmeacham21

Asked by mizmeacham21 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Im a stylist and I say that is probably not the best of ideas for several reasons. 1- depends on wether or not your Dr agrees to it. 2- Your scalp is probably much more sensisitized during pregnancy which may make it uncomfortable for the product to sit on your scalp. and 3- your hormones during pregnancy affect how the service will come out...the prenatal vitamins can alter the effects as well.
    Lipstk713

Answer by Lipstk713 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My hair dresser said it was fine and many of his clients did and they had no problems but I chose not to. I got braids instead. I also waited 6 weeks after having my kids before I got the relaxer. Pregnancy hormones do weird things to your hair.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I've relaxed my hair throughout both of my pregnancies. I spoke to my stylist and she said it was fine, and I also spoke to my doctor and she said that it was fine as well.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2009