false neg. preg tests?

on june 9th i had my first period since my son's birth. he's 16 months old and still breastfeeding. it's been over 5 weeks since that then and still no period. i've taken 2 diff. brands of preg tests and both were neg. do you think it's just my body taking it's time getting back into rhythym? or should i go get a blood test done?

pugmama

Asked by pugmama at 8:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• my friend was breastfeeding and she was 2 months late on her period but she was never pregnant ethier i guess when breastfeeding it can cause you to miss your period but who knows i can be wrong goodluck!
    Anonymous

• A blood test wouldn't hurt. but i think its more that its going to take a bit to get your period normal again. Breatfeeding really messes with your uteris.
    Stephie280

Answer by Stephie280 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• don't worry about it. if you took an hpt and it was negative, and you're still breastfeeding, then you are surely not pregnant. it's just your body taking its time getting back into rhythm, as you said. you will probably not have normal cycles until you wean completely.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 10:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2009