When buying groceries with F/S do you buy more expensive things than you would if you had to pay for it because it isn't technically coming out of your pocket?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Not really. I still buy pretty much the same stuff.
    Anonymous

• Technically, it is coming out of my pocket because I pay taxes... and yes I do I buy fresh fruits and vegetables instead of canned, the more expensive hamburger, things like that.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I smell drama
    Tatumsmommy0123

Answer by Tatumsmommy0123 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• ba13ygrl1987...this isnt technically true, because do you not get taxes back at the end of the year? If you qualify for F/S then you are probably within the bracket that gets all the money back that they paid in taxes for the year
    Anonymous

• No. I get a limited amount of food stamps, and if I go over that amount, I then have to take from my electric bill or car insurance in order to buy food. I have actually found that being on food stamps has helped me become an even more frugal shopper.
    Anonymous

• no i was still the same shopper when i had FS... but the FS and Pa questions are getting old
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Anyone, regardless of their tax bracket can get money back at the end of the year if you balance your paycheck accordingly... I prefer to get money back in a lump sum, so my paychecks are drastically less then they should be throughout the year... then come April i've overpayed and get a lump sum back... My mom has been a teacher for over 20 years and does the same thing, her income is much greater then mine, she still gets money back... My dad chooses to balance it out so his paychecks are larger, but there's no refund in April... its not technically the bracket your in, its how you choose to balance your pay versus what you owe
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• to: ba13ygrl1987 - the IRS penalizes you for overpaying taxes

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• They've never penalized me or my family... or anyone else I know... So i'm gonna keep buying expensive fruits/vegetables with my food stamps and enjoying eating well for awhile, while going about taxes the way I have for the last 6 years... It's worked so far, never had issues, and my expensive food taste very yummy.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• No I have become more wiser in spending my FS because it does have to last my family till nexts month.
    Anonymous