How do i get my children to listen to me without yelling?

Girlsmom0305

Asked by Girlsmom0305 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my grandmother used to whisper. It drove us kids crazy. We'd shut up and go to her and actually listen! lol She was so smart.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• That's a great idea, I'm gonna give it a try!
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 9:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• It works if the child is paying any attention to you. I also use the "look". And the voice of you are so in trouble. They both work well.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Haha, thats the million dollar question! LOL I feel like thats the only way that I can get through to them is to yell and I hate it.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 9:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Whisper. I can't believe that for my son's whispering actually worked. I would just point to them and motion for them with a finger - I had this whole "come over here I gotta tell you a secret" attitude going. When the came over, I would whisper in their ear. Some weird reason, it worked. Hey , try it. You never know.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Get their attention by standing in front of them and looking directly in their eyes so you have their full attention....the focus is completely on you. Make sure they have direct eye contact back with you.
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Besides whispering, you could get them to respond Yes Mom to everything you say. I still expect my 17 year old to do so. This way they can't say they haven't heard you etc. When they say yes mom, they are acknowledging what you told them. I used to carry a wooden spoon around with me, and if they didn't respond the first time, I would say that is 2. I hardly ever had to say 3 because they knew that I would swat. As a result, I hardly ever used the spoon. Walk softly and carry a big stick as the saying goes. :)
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 10:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I always say my kids are sound activated-the louder I yell, the quicker they get to it ;)
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I agree, whisper. I've found that when I lower my voice to just below normal speaking level, my daughter's head whips around, she looks at me (very startled) and she pays attention. My mom told me that my brother and I always knew when we HAD to pay attention - her voice would drop and she'd get quiet.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I'm going to try the whispering thing. Like the above mentioned I make my son repeat to me what was said. Just had that problem this morning. I can't stand it when I ask him to do something or tell him something and he doesn't acklowdege that he was spoken to. I told him "Yes Ma'am, Yes Mom, Okay, I heard you, No I don't like that." SOMETHING has to be said so I know he heard me.......
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2009