Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving out of state before paternity test

I posted a question below about my daughters father coming into her life now after a year , but there is more to it that I also wanted to post seperately since the details tend to get missed when people are responding....
So I was planning to move to another state with my daughter bc I cannot afford to be in the state of michigan any longer. The economy is awful, I have no child support coming in so paying for day care is half of my pay check. I was all set to move by the winter because ofa job opening a friend has for me in florida.
Now her father is saying he wants to have custody. I cannot rely on him, he has not even been around. He wont help pay me, so I cant afford to live here anymore. I don't want to move that far away if he wants to be in her life but I have no choice.
If I move before he is established as the father by paternity test, will we be able to stay in florida???

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • As long as a judge doesn't specifically say you have to stay within such and such area, then you're fine. the only issue would be if he gets visitation, you and him will have to work out the drive or flight and it might extend the visitation period.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • You need to do what is best for you and your daughter. If you haven't been able to rely on him before, consider that usually leopards do not change their spots. Take the job and go. If he wants custody, he would have to file. You can show that he hasn't supported her, or even visited her in the past. If he does change his spots, and starts to support her, yeah. Your daughter can still know him through visitation as Thediva320 says. I can't imagine a judge requiring you to move back to Michigan, if you have a valid job in Florida. Many parents live in different states. As for the paternity that will help you get child support, but some men still don't pay it, so go where you can support yourselves.

    Answer by moneymagnetmom at 10:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • yes move before a court gets involved.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • Move before the courts get involved and you should be ok. A judge won't make you move if you are employed, well they shouldn't.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

  • In our state if he went to court the judges here would hit him with child support an back pay an make sure you recieved that before making a ruling!

    Answer by Nolas.Mommy at 2:16 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.