Christians - what would you do...

I know some Christians do not drink and/or consider drinking a sin... some only hard liquor some any type of alcohol... but this is not a question on whether drinking is a sin. So this is not a debate question about drinking...

If a recipe calls for alcohol.. wine, beer, or liquor.. would u modify the recipe or put the alcohol in it? If u decide to keep the alcohol in it, would u go to the store and buy it yourself?

bonn777

Asked by bonn777 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe the alcohol cooks out of the food so there wouldn't be any concern about ingesting it.

The Bible says not to cause a fellow Christian to stumble so I guess I would look at how that might affect someone that knew me from church who saw me shopping for alcohol at the store. You may not get a chance to explain yourself...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Doesn't cooking take most, if not all, of the alcohol out and just leave the flavor?
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I do not cook with alcohol. I would love to try some of the recipes, because most of it does cook out, but at this time I have not. I do not believe it is a sin, but I do believe the Bible gives plenty of warning against it and that it is not wise. As a pastor's wife, I will not purchase alcohol.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• That's what I thought, OwensMama....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I may not be Christian but I have taken many cooking classes. You need to cook the food for a very long time for most of the alcohol to evaporate. For instance when you cook with wine if you want the alcohol to be evaporated you need to simmer and reduce the wine separately. I am not sure of that process or even how long it takes. But all the alcohol does not cook out. Even when you flambe things the alcohol is not all gone.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If you cook sauces slowly, very slowly for about 3 hours you will have a little under 5 percent of the alcohol left in it.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• here's my take: yes, i've used various alcoholic beverages to cook/bake with. if i'm not secure in my faith, and knowledge that i can't control my behavior with alcohol..thus, using it to the point of drunkenness (which is what the scriptures warn about, for xtians), and anyone who would see me purchasing such products doesn't know my intent/life well enough to trust my behavior, whether i'm cooking/drinking the product, then i wouldn't worry. anyone who really knows me, and would be affected by my ill behavior, knows me well, and is also secure in the knowledge i can control myself. (hope i didn't lose anyone just now.) drunkenness is what the bible warns about, not basic consumption.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i meant...i am secure in my faith and knowledge that i can control my behavior and not get drunk. which doesn't mean i'm excusing my consumption or denying a problem..it means i do not drink to the point of being drunk.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• yes, I would keep the alcohol and yes, I would go buy it myself.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• no i would not keep the alcohol and i would no go buy it..
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2009