Does my son need to nap?

I know naps are a good thing, but most days my son prefers not to nap. Given he goes to bed at 12am or later, because of when I work, and wakes up about 10 hours later, at 10am or 11am, I would like to know should I force him to take a nap during the day or not? He is 2 1/2 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think your son should go to bed at a decent hour, regardless of what time you work and such.. and I also think that he should have a nap in the middle of the day.
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 9:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would ask whoever watches him while you work. If he seems cranky there, you may want to give him a nap. My kids usually take their nap around noon, but obviously yours would take one later since that's close to the time that he wakes up. Depending on how long he is being watched he may be taking one while you work? I don't think naps should be forced unless the child is really cranky, and refuses to take one. My 3 y/o still takes one because he gets really tired around noon, and falls asleep. Hope this helps.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• In general, he needs 12 to 14 hours a day. 10 is just not enough for proper growth and brain development in the vast majority of toddlers.

What is his behavior like in the hours before bedtime? Does he fight going to sleep at night? Does he stir often in the night, having nightmares or nightterrors, even calling out for you? Does he have dark circles under his eyes? Are his lower eyelids doubled, even tripled?

If yes to any of those, he is probably fighting the nap simple because he's exhausted. Strange but true - overtired kids FIGHT sleep with every ounce of their being. Also consider that most preschools have a nap time and most of the 4 year olds actually sleep. Very, very few of the kids will stay awake during that time, they simply need the sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think he should be on more of a typical child's sleep patterns (not staying up til 12 am). You will have to do it sooner or later when he starts school. And yes, at 2 he still needs a nap.

Answer by missanc at 1:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009