How do I get my son to quit being so destructive?

My concern here is that when he is upset and is locked in his room, he likes to tear the pages out of his books and tear up other paper object. This behavior bothers me. He already has ruined so many books and I am almost at the point of taking all the paper books out of his room! Has anyone ever encountered behavior like this in your child before? If so, how do you help him to understand what he is doing is not right?

LittleMewKT

Asked by LittleMewKT at 9:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok, number one, WHY IS HE locked in his room. If you locked me in a room I might destroy a book too.

Number 2- he is young ( I am guessing b/c you posted this in 1-2 toddlers section) so I would expect that he wouldnt know how to handle a paper book yet.

So my advice is #1 Dont lock him in his room

#2 Buy some hard board books from the dollar tree that are harder to destroy. Keep paper backs up where you can reach them to share with him when its appropriate.
    Anonymous

• For now, I would take all the books away and keep them for only reading time. Though I do wonder why he is locked in his room...timeout hopefully. Anyway, when he understands how to look through/read/play with them you can give him a couple. If he seems to do good with them you can give him more. Good luck
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Don't replace the books. If he ruins/destroys things they don't get replaced, period. He will learn in time that when u are destructive you lose your things.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Locked in room as a figurative term I hope. I really really really hope you don't lock your 2 year old up in a room.

I am having the same problem and just deiced that a 2 year old isn't going to understand that they can't tear up a book. They don't comprehend that tearing it up = ruined books/toys. Give him some used magazines and let him have at it. Sometimes you just have to take it away to solve the problem.
    centurymom

Answer by centurymom at 9:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009