hi everyone: I am seriously trying to train my aspie son who is 7 years old...can anyone give me some ideas...I have tried everything I can possibly think of.

my son is 7 and he will pee in the toilet but poo in his underwear...why doesn't he get it> he will sit on the living room floor and do it in his underwear and immediately come and ask me to change him...this was ok when he was lil guy but at 7 it is disgusting...any ideas...I have tried rewards, taking things away, grounding him from things he likes (computer)...when will I get this accomplished? all ideas gratefully accepted...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What is aspie? Is that a condition or were you calling him a name?
    Anonymous

• aspbergers syndrome - high functioning form of autism
    sisluvsme

Answer by sisluvsme at 9:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• It's harder for Aspie's. They (generally) have impulse control problems but just can't realize that they are doing something wrong. That (as explained to me by my son's psychologist) is one thing that is different between an Aspie and a kid with PDD-NOS. (PDD-NOS kids KNOW they're supposed to/not supposed to do something but just have trouble controlling the impulses...my son is PDD-NOS)

Try talking to a psychologist or his developmental pediatrician for ideas of how to get through to him. My understanding is that it can and will happen, but it's going to take so much more patience and time than with a neurotypical kid.

My initial thought is that discipline might not be the way to go because this is his area of not realizing what he's supposed to do (kind of his "flapping"?) It's really hard to say because each kid is so different.

Does he have low motor tone? It might be a muscular problem?

Just tossing ideas
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:53 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Have you tried using a kitchen timer? This worked GREAT on BOTH of my boys who have Asperger's and mild autism (clinical scores).

It took about 10 days of CONSTANT effort on my part, but the pay off was worth it!

I had them wear ONLY long shirts, and set a kitchen timer for 20 minutes. When the bell went off, I escorted them to the bathroom, and made them sit on the toilet (at this age, teach them on the real thing, not a potty chair, or you'll have to reteach them), until they produced something. I havea large bathroom, and literally brought a chair and some books/magazines for ME to read, (also sang songs, played music) and set up a TV tray with books and juice/water for my sons to entertain themselves.

I would keep them on for up to 90 MINUTES at a time! If they produced something they were rewarded with extra time off, if they didn't produce anything, they only got a 10 minute break, and they were back on!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2009