how do i teach toddler it's not okay to hit and pull other kids' hair?

my 20 month old has a thing for hair - probably because he often plays with my hair. he hugs and kisses other kids and pats their heads and hair. but sometimes he pulls their hair hard and other times he pats their heads hard - he's just being playful and showing affection, and doesn't mean to be hurtful. we've been trying to teach him it's bad, by putting him in the corner, but i dont think he's getting it. What else can I do? It's really embarrassing that we can't control him and I feel really bad for the kids he bothers (and their parents, of course).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just start by not letting him touch anyone on the head for a while (exept you). When he tries touchng another child just tell him it's not ok because they don't like it. When he touches your head, only teach him gentle touches and maybe teach him with dolls? Not too sure but it's just a suggestion.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• i have the same problem with my 2 year old daughter, i spoke with a child phycologist (came free with my daughters 2 year wellness check up) and she said one disiplinary action would be to start doing time out. which would be to hold your child in your lap for 2 minutes and speak simple to your child like "please be nice and dont hit"
    it may take quite a few tries but consistency is a must. my daughter is a little more well behaved now.
    jayleegirl

Answer by jayleegirl at 2:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2009