This is for the mature mommy's

Mature in age. Do you ever worry about your older child(ren) and If you know that they are unhappy or even depressed would you say something or what would you do exactly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have an 11 yr old daughter and I have been through this. It is not easy but we went to counseling and it seemed to help her. I am thinking about taking her back. She is not too bad right now but she needs the counseling someone besides me she can confide in.
    vidamc2

Answer by vidamc2 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Yes I would. And I would find a therapist who I think would best meet my child's needs. Depression in children is a serious issue and can have serious consequences. Some areas of concern: grades, self-esteem, socialization, behaviors, possible drug seeking to self medication...

So if I noticed anything that clued me into the fact my child is experiencing anxiety, depression, or any other mental health issue I would seek the appropriate assistance.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I have three children in their 30's. Two of which suffer from depression. My son won't accept help from me but he does sign himself in the hospital if it gets too bad. My youngest dd goes to counseling. We won't take prescription meds (I have depression as well) but we do take 5htp and we give each other moral support through the rough parts of the depression. It is cyclical so once we hit bottom we know we're on an upswing and everything will be ok for a bit longer. Depression is ugly but support is vital. Just let your child/ren know you want to be supportive

Answer by admckenzie at 10:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I have a 13 yr old and I would say something and I would get him into counseling to help deal with the depression. He was depressed as a younger child and I got him the help he needed. I will always be supportive to my son, get him the help he needs and if needed, have him committed so he isn't a harm to himself or others. Depression is an ugly disorder and people need help and support, not stigma and useless ideas.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Thank you so much for your advice, I know now that I do need to try and get my child some help. As a mother I try to pretend that everything is ok and my child will be fine, but I'm not so sure that is the case anymore.Thank you again and more advice/responses are welcome and appreciated.

Anonymous