My DD's hamster bit her. Now she doesn't want it anymore.

Its a new hamster to our family, and I think it is a little shy and scared of its new suroundings. We just got it today.

Do you have any kind words of wisdom to share with me so I can talk her out of hating this hamster. I already told her that we won't take it back because pets are for keeps. BTW- she is ten.

TIA!

VeronicaLee

Asked by VeronicaLee at 10:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pets

• Lol its very possible that the hamster is pregnant. We used to get them in pregnant from the supplier all the time! Most hamsters though do not like other hamsters. You can usually get two females to live in the same cage after maturity, but not males. Male hamsters (before they became extinct in the wild) would have a territory of 8 miles that no other male hamster was allowed to be in. They would literally fight to the death if another came in. Something hamsters like, and might help calm him/her down is red cabbage. Shred a little and feed it to him/her by your hand. It will help you bond and it also helps prevent wettail, and other stress-related issues ( I don't know why but it always worked for us!). Feel free to pm me anytime if you have any more questions; I used to have dwarf hamsters in my house, and they are really fun once they become calm!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• PS- her old hamster died yesterday and it never bit any one, so my DD was shocked and disappointed when this new hamster bit her.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Do you think that maybe you got her a new one just a bit too soon? Maybe she is looking for any excuse not to get attached to this one because she lost the other one? I don't know, but I would give her some time, just keep taking care of him and hopefully she will come around.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I just went and put my hand in the cage. I was going to pet it from the side. It whipped around, hissed at me, and tried to bite me too. Now I'm scared of it too....

I told her that we would leave it alone and try to at least pet it again tomorrow. I'm worried though!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Where did you get this hamster? Most pet shops have guarantees. I think I would take it back and tell them, that one is evil and you want a new one.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 10:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'm sorry this has happened to your family. But I do give your props for saying pets are for keeps. However maybe sometimes it's best to rehome a pet. I agree with Petie... Maybe it was just a bit too soon to get another pet. My brother was 11, got a puppy, four days later it died of parvo; he was devestated. That was almost three years ago and he's just now starting to ask for a pet. But he insists he doesn't ever want another dog; he wants a cat. But I also believe every child is different... I wish you luck with your new pet.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• If you got it from a pet store, I would return it and get another one. Hamsters from pet stores are often bought from mass farms where they are inbred, and sometimes the inbreeding causes them to be VERY aggressive. I worked at a pet store for years, and I can tell you the only cage I wouldn't put my hand in was the hamster cages! I would even pick up the scorpions before touching those hamsters, bc we almost always got in at least one hamster that was a little "off" and would bite without reason. However, most pet stores will tell you not to handle the hamster for at least 24 hours after getting them, bc they are all stressed from the move and scared. They can actually get a disease called "wettail" from the stress of the move if they are handled too soon. If the hamster is still biting in a day or two, I'd return him for a different one, bc he/she will likely always bite.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Hamster is most likely disoriented and upset by the move. Let him be until tomorrow. Do not grab hamster. put your hand flat on the cage bottom in front of him/her, and invite hamster into your hand with a small treat. Oh and is there a chance hamster could be expecting? I have bought more than one that was pregnant, and delivered within 2 weeks of purchase. Never put hand behind or beside hamster. Trying to "sneak up" can be a very bad idea. I have had my thumb bitten to the bone that way. Good luck.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Thanks for all your responses. We got it at petsmart. They did tell us that this hamster did not like other hamsters but was great with people. We held it right away at the store and it was fine. We held it again when we got it home and it was fine. Then after it had been in its new cage for several hours is when it bit my DD.

As far as being pregnant... LOL... I told my DD earlier that it would be kinda funny if this hamster wasn't really "fighting" with the other hamsters and wouldn't it be shocking if we got the "buy one, get eight free" deal.  We both laughed it off as not being possible... but now that you mention it, she/he is really fat!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2009