Am I in Active Labor??

This is my first pregnancy and I have been having very painful contractions all day but their not staying consistent...the amount of time in between them is going like this: 9, 8, 7, 13, 15, 5, 7 min apart...their getting stronger too...is this false or real labor?? Is real labor close?? My god this hurts!! lol I havent called my dr yet cuz I have to call an answering service and give them 1/2 hr to get back to me so I'm just curious.

landons.mama

Asked by landons.mama at 10:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its not active labor until there is a pattern, though it could be the beginning of labor-

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 10:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would call. That's how my contractions were. They never got regular. When I was in labor, they started out like 20 minutes apart, then 10, then 2, then 15, then 7, then 25, etc. They only got regular when I got to like 8.5cm.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The worst they can do is have you come to the hospital or birthing center, check you out, then send you back home. It's better to be safe and certain.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• yup mine were very irregular too, like 10, 5, 4, 10.......ect. Until i was about to push. So i would call or go in like Ms. Bat said.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I'd call your doc. They sound regular to me - the timing between them won't be exact. It's also normal for some to be really intense and others to be less so. Labor can speed up quickly, so I'd call now, especially if it takes them 1/2 hour to call you back! Good luck!
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 10:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I just had a baby almost 2 weeks ago and all he was doing was pushing down with his feet most of the day and it hurt but was hurting more later that night and then I started having contractions every 1-2min then every 5min, which its supposed to be every 10min, then like 5-6min, then every 1-2min. I have two other kids and thats how they was and this one was different. By the time I got to the hospitl I was dialated to 5-6cm and had to have a C-section since he didn't flip so all pregnancies are different. I tell you when he was pushing down with his feet it was painful and was just here and there but got worse to the point where I was crying.
    Anonymous

• ohh and I had him 2 1/2hrs later after all the prepping for the c-section
    Anonymous

• My contractions never got regular with my first baby. I would call or go in and get checked. The worst that can happen is you get sent home, which I know from experience is very disappointing, but it would probably be worth it to know.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Mine NEVER got into a pattern. Even when I was pushing it was still going 4, 2, 2, 3, 5, 2, 1, 3.

Wait til you can't talk or walk through them and then go to the hospital. Lie down, relax, take a relaxing bath, something like that. If it's not the real thing, it should slow down & peter out.

And if it makes you feel better, 5 days before my daughter was born I had 14 hours of labor that just stopped. You could be going through something called prodromal labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2009