Any suggestions for coping with bringing home baby #2?

I have a 22 month old son and I am due in 2 weeks. I have been really excited throughout this pregnancy, but lately have felt guilty and anxious for my son. I want the transition to go as smoothly as possibly. I am having a scheduled c-section and am concerned that I won't be able to pick up or carry my son for weeks after the baby is born. Any suggestions on how to make this transition for my son as smooth as possible?

MummyAmanda

Asked by MummyAmanda at 10:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• just give him lots and lots of love and attention so he don't feel left out
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• also if you can't pick him up make sure to sit on the floor with him. when the new baby is first born they can sit in a bouncer seat right next to you & ds that way ds can sit on your lap or you can do other things on the floor (suk as blocks or trucks) I'm a little worried about this myself but my sons 3 so he has a little more understanding then your son will. good luck!
    Anonymous

• i think it's very important for an older child to feel "useful. Let him hold the baby, how HE wants to hold the baby.... just be ready to help him.. don't ever say" see?! your making the baby cry!!" just let him be the big brother, give him some space but keep a close eye on him... make sure you snuggle with just him when ever you can... and make a point of moving the baby so he can sit right next to you. Make the effort to make him feel special. goo dluck.. just take t a day at a time.. it'll be so much fun!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:33 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I just had my son July 3rd, almost 2 weeks ago, and I have a 20mth old about to be 21mths on the 28th and I have my mom watching her. I had a C-section, which I never had one before. They told me to not pick nothing up more than his weight. Since havin the baby my daughter is not being nice and will throw herself down and not hug me sometimes and make whoever pick her up off the floor. She is more winey and will kiss the baby but sometimes try to lightly kick him if she was on the couch with him there. I give her attention and so does my family. She is starting her terrible 2's early. My c-section still hurts some and I can't keep getting up and down and up and down to get her out of things. I have 2 gates and cabinet locks on the cabinets but she gets into other things, So my mom is watching her for a little more till I heal. I also have a 6 1/2yr old boy and he helps sometime.
    Anonymous

• Continued..... I thin since I had her here to visit and went to my moms house, and the way shes acting now she will be the same when she comes home. They also tell you no driving for 1-2weeks after a c-section.
    Anonymous

• ohh and yeah I let her kiss him and give him a little hug and shes fine
    Anonymous

• When my daughter was born, my son was 2 1/2yrs old. I felt so guilty about not having as much time with him as I used to. So we adopted, "Mommy & Caden Time". This is a time where on a daily basis, we spend 30-45min together while his baby sister naps doing anything and everything together just the two of us. And this is quality time...no tv, no electronics, etc. We read books, play board games, arts & crafts, etc. My son is now 5 1/2yrs old and we still have this one on one time together. It helps him feel loved and special and gives him something to look forward to daily.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 11:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Dont leave them in the same room. My son was 2 1/2 when i had my other son. First day home i went into the kitchen for a bottle for the baby and came out and my son nathan pushed over the baby in his swing. But after that it was all good. Have fun.
    vickyburns

Answer by vickyburns at 6:41 AM on Jul. 16, 2009