Miss the old days?

Do you miss the time when children respected ALL adult figures no matter who they were, because they were taught to listen and respect adults-
I miss the day that you couldnt walk down the street and throw a candy wrapper on the ground and Mrs.Johnson made you pick up garbage all afternoon AND called your parents.
Those were the days when the community looked after the best intrest of the children, when parents excepted and appreciated help.
Now everyone thinks they only know best, kids run around not respecting ANYONE and when someone DOES step in and say something to someones child, the parents FREAK out, and get upset because someone else is "parenting" there child.

judith_visco

Asked by judith_visco at 10:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree, as far as kids respecting their elders and just having manners and respect in general.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 10:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Yep..I miss them too but I miss where kids said yes ma'am and no sir.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 10:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• yes very much so
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I miss that too but I too do not like it when someone else tries to parent my child instead of talking to me first. That is just me. But if my child does something wrong or not nice tell me and I will deal with it but overall I do very much miss the way things used to be. This world has gone to crap in a hand bag and only going to get worse. The end is coming soon. All we can do is just do our best to raise good kids and pray they turn out well in this day and age.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I plan on teaching my children to respect everyone. Hopefully as they get older they'll continue to do so.
    Anonymous

• I grew up at the tail end of all that, but I always wanted to be a child of the "nice"era 50's, 60's, and 70's...I mean I know there were jerks out there, but it seems like people had morals, they cared about peace and acceptance....Some of the great leaders of our time were around then, the music was good (Yet the old people at that time hated rock n roll , LOL) and people did respect their elders, and women maybe didn't have some rights like we do now, but didn't the family unit thrive better when wives stayed at home and monitored their own children, instead of having to leave them with strangers and day care. If we could be that way again, I don't think the kids would be as disrespectful, because back then, they got their asses beat, not always to the point of severe abuse, but parents got their point across.. The problem with the no-spanking rule is that kids know they can use that to get their parents in trouble.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Please keep in mind, this is not the way it is for every family. I teach my kids respect. I am 23 years old and i have two little girls. They say please thank you, excuse me.....all that i can teach them, and they will learn. They are 2 1/2 and 5 years old. I think its pretty damn good that my two year old says excuse me. I am trying to teach them to have respect for everyone. So please don't think that every parent is like this now. Its just not true for all of us. Some yes, and i see your point, but not all.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• OMG I am Mrs. Johnson!! Half the kids on my block are afraid of me because I am mean.

I prefer to think of myself as Mr. Wilson-like

Answer by rkoloms at 10:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I wish I lived during those days... We are from south Florida where if you smile and wave at a stranger you usually get flipped off. We just got back from visiting the area we are moving to in Alabama (a nice small town) and the difference is amazing. People smile and talk to you just because & when they ask how you are they really want to know. I thought our son was polite bc he says please and thank you but up there the kids are taught from before they can talk to refer to adults as Mr so in so or Mrs so in so and if they are asked a question it is no sir yes sir or they get in trouble. It was very refreshing. In fact I joked w my DH (hes from this small town) that I needed to take classes on southern hospitality before we go so people don't think I'm rude :)
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Nope, my kids have respect for all adults because I realized my parents actually did know a thing or two about parenting. I taught them as I was taught. maybe I was one of the few lucky ones who's parents cared enough to not let them run the streets at night, call my friends parents by Mr. and Mrs. (or Ms.). We didn't do things that would embarrass our parents and if my kids do they will feel my wrath!! Just sayin.... its all in how YOU raise YOUR kids. I don't think I have a whole lot to worry about. And NO, I'm not a young mama just starting out. I also don't mind if someone corrects my children.... even if I don't agree 100%.... it teaches them tolerance. As long as they don't scream at my kids or put their hands on them, it's all good.
    Anonymous