My son always seems tired, what can I do?

My 4 month old son takes cat naps all throughout the day....as many as five or six 25 to 45 minute naps, but he wakes up from his naps, and he is fussy, and yawns and seems like he wants to go back to sleep, but I can rarely get him to go back to sleep, if he does seem "happy" when he wakes up he is yawning and rubbing his eyes within 15 minutes of waking up, but fights going back to sleep. Any suggestions on how to get him to sleep longer? He always seems tired...

JacobsMom323

Asked by JacobsMom323 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call the doctor and ask about this behaivor first. He might need to get his blood levels checked. If the doctor's office says this is normal, you might try calming music and a lavendar scent. Also the heartbeat and womb sounds help.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My son was just as bad as yours, accept he wouldn't take any naps at all during the day. Every once in a while we would get him to fall asleep during the day, and after his nap he would be happy, but it was very short lived, and he would get tired and cranky again. At night he would sleep through the night fine. He would just have problems during the day. So, it got me to thinking, maybe he likes it dark, so I bought a room darkening shade from Walmart and hung it on his window. This made his room extremely dark, and he had no problems taking his nap. My son is now 2 years old, and to this day he will almost never fall asleep when it is light outside. Every once in a while he will fall asleep in the car, but it seems like it has to be at the right time. If he isn't tired enough yet, he won't fall asleep, and if he is overly tired forget it. He just sits in his car seat cranky the whole time. I hope this information helps you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jul. 25, 2009