Help! She's growing too fast! :P We are discussing shaving...

My 7 yr old and I recently discovered she had underarm hair. She's had leg hair for a bit but it's getting a lot darker, now. She's getting a bit self-concious. I was wondering what the thoughts of using Nair were? I'm scared to, because I'm afraid it might burn her and I definately don't like the idea of a razor.. Any ideas?

emnrav

Asked by emnrav at 10:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Nair burns! I used it for my first AND last time a few weeks ago. Try veet. It has a bladeless thing. My sister has said it works and I don't think it burns like Nair.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't because she'll have to do that for the rest of her life from that point on...I'd wait and tell her it's natural. I mean what other seven year olds are going to notice leg or armpit hair? I started shaving at 12 or 13 and I now feel that was too young.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 10:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• My daughter for about a year kept wanting to shave and I told her when she started her period then she could start shaving. She is 11 now and just has started shaving and with a razor and shaving gel/creme. That Nair is not good for kids....they have sensitive skin and it will burn
    just stick to the razor and do it for and with her a couple of times to make sure she understands how to do it. But I would not let her until she is a bit older.
    vidamc2

Answer by vidamc2 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• well.. she is a bit young.. but you don't want kids to notice her under arm hair... and make fun of her. kids can be cruel... i can't really be of any help.. but i DREAD that day..good luck !!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I have sensitive skin and I use Veet. I actually leave it on longer than it says because it doesn't work otherwise,and no burning problems here. Now Nair..yeah, that burns.
    Anonymous

• I think my mom let me start shaving my underarms and the lower part of my legs when I was in 4th grade. I can't remember what age was that, but I felt that it was a perfect time. Boys started noticing us in 5th grade and I was all shaved and ready to go haha
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:28 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• 7 seems young. Have you had a well baby lately to ask. Legs can wait, but I can she being conscious about underarms. Although when I let my older girls shave, I told them once you start you need to do it every day. So I would hold off as long as possible.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 12:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Wow, I'm surprised no one has broughtup precocious puberty?  I would take her to the dr. and have her checked out.  My dd started wearing a training bra at 7.  We thought it might be the onset of puberty which it kind of is but she still has no under arm hair or hair down "there".  Dr. said to bring her back if we noticed either of those.  Girls are starting younger these days.  My advice is wait as long as you can.  Once she starts she is going to have to keep it up.  That's a lot of responsibility for a 7 yr old.

sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I really appreciate these answers. I started shaving when I was 8 and yes, it does seem like I've been shaving forever. I do have an appt with the pedi, but I really wanted other mothers views, as well. I've always been worried that they were going to start puberty young, that is why I never gave them regular milk. We've always used Horizan Organic.. lol.. We don't need the extra hormones.. Her appt is soon and I'll let you know what the doc says. Again, thank you for your answers
    emnrav

Answer by emnrav at 6:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• hey i hate to say but your going to teach her to shave, do not use nair. it will hurt her skin she is too young for that. have you had her tested for over active growth hormone or thyroid problems. If she is seven then she is hitting puberity too soon and you should have her cheeked for it. but her skin is still to senitive for nair. use shaving cream for senitive skin and teach her how to shave. I am sure she will start growing hair on her neck and chin and under her noise too soon. I have had that problem since i was nine and i had to be taught to shave and i am 38 now and it didn't hurt me at all. It helped me make it thur school without being teased. I am sure you should have her tested.
    bamamom2212

Answer by bamamom2212 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2009