Just out of curiosity, do you do it to be nice or to get them away from you..?

I've been overly generous this week and it got me thinking. I did it because I genuinely wanted to help but does everyone or do they do it to get people away from them. For example. I work in a gas station and had a man coming in from wisconson who was looking for the nearest truck stop. I gave him 20$ for a cab ride and for some food. Another guy came in (he was homeless) and I gave him 5 of the hot dogs so him and his friend could eat. (I've been hungry before and it's not a good feeling) but I recently talked to a friend who says when bums ask him for money he does it so they'll go away. So, what do you do? Do you do it because you feel bad for them or do you do it because they are bothering you..? I'm not judging. Just asking.

keb7

Asked by keb7 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do it to be nice if they seem like they r on drugs etc... I just say sorry I'm broke myself
    Anonymous

• b/c i feel bad for them...you never know how you are going to end up..

rubipresiosa1

Answer by rubipresiosa1 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• well when I was a kids, I went to 7-11 with a friend and bought a ton of candy (that we just mowed lawns and stuff for), well on the way out we literally saw this man digging in the garbage can and eating what he pulled out. I about cried, we gave him what we bought and I will never forget when he said god bless you both. I still to this day think of that man and wish there was more I could have done, but I was only 8. I do not give out money to the homeless because i dont honestly know what they will use it for (drugs, beer, ect.) but I do give them food or gift cards that can be used for food, and I do it because if that were me and my kids I would hope someone would help us.
    Anonymous

• I don't give them money. I won't contribute to people who may or may not actually be needy, it's a big scam around here, or who may use the money for drugs.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I agree with you both. I see alot of people coming in just buying beer and then begging for food. No. You should have bought food instead. But the guy from Wisconsin was a genuinely nice guy. He showed me his license and said he was heading down to see his daughter and grand daughter. His daughter was going through a nasty divorce he said. He was going to walk it but that would have taken him forever so I offered.
    I've been homeless and living in my car before so i'm in no place to judge but some are worthier of it... at least I think so.
    keb7

Answer by keb7 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• We don't give food or money to people on the street. Instead we donate to legitimate charities.

My husband once told me of a woman who came up to him in a parking lot holding a child in her arms. She said she was hungry and asked for whatever he could give. He handed her some money and got in his truck. He sat and watched her from there.

She meandered through the parking lot, went through the Taco Bell and out the other door (without getting food) and went straight to the liquor store.

Moral of the story...give to legitimate charities that SERVE FOOD!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Oh and as for giving food....

My mom once had a man come up to her in a grocery parking lot saying he was hungry. She is kindhearted and happened to have some banana bread she just bought. She gave it to him.

He handed it back with a sneer and walked away.

Moral of the story...give to legitimate charities that SERVE FOOD THAT PEOPLE EAT!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I do it because if I need help, I hope there would be a kind stranger who cared enough about me... Good things happen to people who care about and help others, especially when you don't expect anything in return from that person. Even if I gave money to a homeless person knowing for a fact they would use it on drugs or alcohol, my stance is this, what else do they have to look forward to, and who am I to judge? I mean I hope they buy food with it, but if not, oh well. I was at a gas station once and I bought a $2 scratch off, and some man asked me if I had spare change or something cuz he needed gas. I said if this ticket is a winner, I'll have change. So I scratched it off and won $5.00 and told him to take it. He asked if I was sure and I said ya, so he told me he will keep me in his prayers, I couldn't ask for better repayment.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I give them money, because I feel bad for them. I just feel like I could be in those shoes anyday. If my husband lost his job we would be screwed and I'd be the next person begging for money. Maybe I am getting scammed, but that's on their karma not mine.
    Anonymous

• My husband and I are always asking anyone and everyone "What do you need?" Specially, if they have that look we ask them that. So whatever they need it is what we try to give it to them no matter what it is. With food ..family and friends are always coming over here with strangers only because they know that we do not deny anyone of that. Plus, I am always serving HUGE plates of food and asking if you want more. With money if I have it and it is not for a bill...I give it to them. Because I know the Lord will take care of us no matter what.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 11:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2009