Why do some people feel it necessary to parent other people's children?

Have you ever experienced a complete stranger in public try to discipline your kids when you're literally right there? Or when someone approaches you telling you what you're doing wrong and what you should do instead?

I was at Walmart the other day and my kids wanted to play with the toys at the checkout line. Literally as I was telling them to pick up what they took out, someone approached them very rudely telling them to pick up their messes. I was handling it, and they were doing what I asked of them and this woman came in and tried to override my parenting. I just told her "Thank You, I've got it under control".

Have you ever been in a similar situation? How would you have reacted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes.
    Anonymous

• I tell them its not their kid and to back off.
    Anonymous

• well I agree and disagree- thats all Ill say.
    other than that- I was at walmart the other day, and these children were playing with the glasses, u know the cheep reading kind, and I WATCHED the children both take a pair and put it in there pockets. I told them to put them back, and told there mother, and there mother FREAKED out on me for saying her children stole, told them NOT to empty there pockets and I watched them leave with stolen merch in there pockets.
    Those parents I HATE, and someone SHOULD say somehting.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 11:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Haha no, but good job I would have said the same thing.
    ;)
    kframpton

Answer by kframpton at 11:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I just ended a friendship with a lady who's husband thought it was ok to parent my DD... Even tho their house was a mess with old food on the floors that their baby would pick up and eat... Maybe they should clean a little before he started that crap... I really liked her but I couldn't stand him... he made my little 2 year old cry twice so instead of hitting him in the face and ending up in jail i just ended it.....I can't stand people like that...
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 11:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Growing up, my parents had a very close knit group of friends if one of them said something, it may as well have come from my parents mouth. I have a few very close friends who I don't think twice about discipling and they do the same with mine.

I've never disciplined a strangers child when there was a parent there doing, but I've got to the park and there is a child either without a parent or the parent is not paying attention and the child is not playing nicely and I'll tell them something along the lines of "It's nice to play that way, don't you think you should apologize" and then suggest a different game or a more polite way to play together.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Maybe because too many people's kids need to be parented. We're you planning on buying those toys or are your children unable to stand quietly and keep their hands off things?
    Anonymous

• I sometimes say things to kids if I think they are in danger.
    An example was a kid at Burlington Coat Factory who was playing around the escalators. He was about three years old. I told him not to play around there.

His mom showed up right after that, but I don't think she had a clue what he had been doing. (trying to go down an up escalator.)

So, yeah, if the kid is by himself/herself...if mom is there, I let her handle it.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Luckily nobody has tried that crap with my kids and I. not sure how'd I react. The people who try to parent other people's kids probably have some kinda of control issues or they are just miserable people in general.
    One day when I was working in retail, a little boy was sitting in his stroller with his mom singing QUIETLY(I didnt even hear him sing). This old lady turned to him and said "Shut up" to him! She actually used the words shut up. He was fine, not bothering anybody(except the old bat) and behaving himself. I believe the mom said to Old Bat, "He's fine, not doing anything wrong.Would you rather him run around the store screaming?"
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 11:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• We're you planning on buying those toys or are your children unable to stand quietly and keep their hands off things?

Wow! That was a rude reply. My kids were doing exactly what they were told. What's the harm in them touching something on display? Do you keep your hands to yourself when buying clothes, electronics, food, etc? My kid were not destroying the toys, they were just picking them up to look at it. Are you kids perfect in that they stand at attention like statues and not make a sound? Even in a toy store? Do you have them on a leash???

I was just asking a question lady. Why are SOME of you moms so rude???
    Anonymous