is it possible for ur bby to kick to much an get hurt or something?

my kid kicks alot sometimes like repeatedly should i worry

momatonly16

Asked by momatonly16 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In pregnancy your ribs are stretched -- expanded -- beyond their original position. This makes them more vulnerable to injury. They can even hurt and make breathing a little painful (like a stitch in your side) until they settle into a new position. You can crack a rib or bruise one by twisting wrong, coughing violently, and probably if you are term and your uterus has reach capacity which puts a lot of pressure on the ribcage.

Other than that, random kicks won't hurt you because the uterus is a big muscle and the fetus is cushioned by amniotic fluid. It would take an incredible amount of force to be able to kick hard enough to do damage.

As for the kidney thing -- the kidneys are near your spine in front of some low ribs, I'd say injury was more due to organ shifting and unusual pressure in the same spot than the fetus because the kidneys would be behind all the other squashed organs.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:27 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i wouldn't "worry" but i read a story that a baby broke one his mommas ribs... just a little crack... but still!!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• not themselves but you could get hurt. My grandmother was preggo with one of my aunts and shebroke two of gmas ribs....
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• They can't really hurt themselves by kicking, but they can hurt you. A friend of mine lost one of her kidneys because her son kicked it to death. Seriously. The only way an overactive baby can hurt themselves is by flipping too much. It's extremely rare, but if they do it just wrong, they can cause knots in the umbilical cord. but yeah, like I said EXTREMELY rare.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2009