cloth diapers

i'm a new mom and due in oct and i dont have a job and unemployment money only goes for so long to pitch in..i was told that there are companies that will come out and pick up your used cloth diapers and drop off new clean ones on your doorstep and you just pay a monthly fee...does anyone know of a company like that?

chevygal86

Asked by chevygal86 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I used Kooshies to save money. They cost me $10 a diaper, and I used them w/3 kids. They are cloth with Velcro staps (no pins-yeah). I didn't have to use a plastic pants to pull on over them like my mom did when we were little. The diaper has that built in, so it is just the diaper without all the sag, etc. I bought 20. I put the diaper pail w/water in the shower and added diapers all day. Every evening I dumped the pail in the washer, did a spin cycle, and then washed them. I put them in the dryer and went to bed. In the morning I folded them and was ready to go. I never used all 20 diapers in a day, so I could keep the diaper bag packed. I never had to pay for a service. I got these at JC Penny's on sale for $140 (15 years ago). I used them for 9-10 months for each child. I loved them, and I didn't have a diaper bill. You could probably check on-line as to where you could buy them. You would save lots of money.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 11:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• try googling cloth diaper services.
    Anonymous

• P.S. These diapers Kooshies look like pampers, huggies etc. My kids hardly ever had rashes, etc. I was 100% pleased with their performance. Plus I was so happy with all the money I saved.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 11:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• if you are low on funds, then you should wash the diapers yourself. you can find used diapers on freecycle, craigslist, ebay, second hand shops and garage sales

Answer by rkoloms at 11:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• there are tons of resources online too for making your own. i used cloth for all three of my girls from birth to potty. saved a TON of money.

diaper services here are about the same cost as disposables

good luck! cloth is SO much fun!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:06 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• diaper services are EXPENSIVE, and if you clean them at home and don't do it JUST RGHT, it can be a health risk to your child.
    My sister did a diaper trial, a diaper company sent her free diapers, but she had to record every diaper change, for example, held this many lbs of poo- leaked from left side, sticky thing fell off- so on and so fourth, google diaper trials.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 12:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2009