What's your prob Noah?!

Ok so as I understand the story it goes like this. Noah drank too much wine got drunk and laid naked in his tent. Well his son, Ham, walks in and sees his naked dad. Ham leaves the tent and tell his other two brothers. The other brother walk in backwards looking away and cover their father's nakedness. When Noah wakes up he hears what Ham has done and is PISSED. So Noah curses Ham's son Caanan. So what's the prob? One why curse your son's son? Two, you're the one who decided to lay drink in the tent naked so why get all mad?!

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 11:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Cultural differences that we can't understand but they understood at the time. Instead of covering his father's shame himself, he went and "told" his brothers. We're not sure what his attitude was in doing this or if he did it in mockery which brought further shame to his father. The text isn't completely clear on the specifics of the story (obviously, or we wouldn't have questions lol) so we don't know if Canaan was involved or not.

-Ham was the youngest son and Canaan was Ham's youngest son. Perhap's that's why?
    -Perhaps Canaan was involved?
    -Perhaps it is worse to know that your lineage is cursed than for you to be cursed yourself?
    -Perhaps Noah's curse was actually more prophetic in nature, telling of what is to come of the lineage of Canaan?

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I would think it is because he did not cover him up himself.He was the first to see that his dad was naked and just left him as is.JMO
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• But it's Noah's fault Noah CHOSE to get drunk and naked in his tent lolz.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Back in those days the wine became stronger than before the flood, so Noah did not know that he would get drunk.. His son Ham should have respected and honored his father and covered him up but he chose to dishonor his father and tell his brothers what he did. His brothers being horrified went and covered their father. It had to do with Ham's heart attitude and when sin happens it does affect the family line. Noah chose not to curse his son but the future generation. God allowed this for a reason. You have to do a study on the family line of Ham and see where it went. I believe if I am right that is the line Ismael came from but I am not 100 percent sure. Anyway there are reasons and the culture of the time is different as well.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• The way we perceive "faults" in each other today is much different than the way they would perceive "faults" between a son and a Patriarch in Biblical times. Ham was in the wrong because he disrespected his father. Even if Noah was wrong, it doesn't excuse Ham.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I agree. I think it is because instead of covering his father, he went off and told (or maybe he joked about it, gossiped about it??) others. It took 2 of his brothers to correct a problem he could have done on his own. Like most problems, they only get bigger the longer they are left unattended. As to Canaan...the only thing I can think of is that it is to show us that sins we consider insignificant or only affecting us actually affects other generations. I've heard the term generational sins and think it may be applied here.
    Allegra360

Answer by Allegra360 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• I believe if I am right that is the line Ismael came from but I am not 100 percent sure

Ham is the father of Canan. The start of the Canannites.

Ismael children are the Palestinians.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• O.K. Op we get that it was Noah's fault for getting drunk. But two wrongs don't make a right. I'm curious why this bothers you so much?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It bothers me cause Noah was never rebuked or punished for HIS SIN! If he hadn't gotten naked and drunk this would have never happened.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• OP, have you been punished for all of your sins?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2009