how can i change my standard poodle to a corded poodle

ok so i like the corded look but not sure how to get started. i have read online but i guess i don't understand what they are saying so i need it explained in plainer english. my poodle's hair is fairly fine for now and i have been letting it grow out and so far no matts. but i wondered how do i twist the hair? i mean i would like for her hair to just grow out the way it does and not combine any other hairs to the strands that are already gathered together or do i have to make the locks bigger as in fatter. does this make sense? also should i leave poms poms on rump or shave it all?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2009 in Pets

• Call a local groomer and ask them. Perhaps they could show you how so you know how to do it by having it seen done.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• PLEASE call a groomer to find out the proper way to do this. I work at a grooming salon and have seen many people attempt to do things themselves, but end up bringing the pet in to us to be "fixed". I'm not trying to be rude, but consult a professional groomer and ask them to show/explain how to do it. I am not a groomer and am not really sure what your asking about, but if you call a groomer, they should be able to explain/show you how to do it.

Good Luck.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Aren't they two COMPLETELY different breeds?

Hey, hey guys...how do I change my basset hound into a beagle?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• some poodle's hair will not cord and if it does it is very high maintenance to keep the cord cared for properly. Taking your dog to a good groomer is your best shot at learning how to encourage the natural "mating" or cording that some poodles naturally have.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• anon they are not different breeds duh. it's the coat that changes the name but does not change the breed. oh and you could change you basset to a beagle get a beagle and get rid of your basset. poof beagle not basset.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Corded coats have been around since the late 1800's. It is not a popular coat choice as it requires quite a bit of work with many a downside. These coats are difficult to bathe and dry. Also the type of coat at birth will determine whether or not the coat will cord properly. This process starts when they are puppies allowing for coat to grow and mat. Once coat mats, the mats must be separated into smaller rows of mats, thus giving the appearance of cording. Mats are uncomfortable as they pull on the skin. Why anyone would deliberately do this is beyond me.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 3:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2009