stupid question about contractions... but I have to ask.

how can you tell the difference between a "real" ontraction and a braxton hicks? and how do you know its not just baby pushing out? thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's hard to explain how I knew, but you will definitely know. I had the braxton hicks contractions pretty early. After I went to the ER just in case, they told me that if you feel like your having a contraction, try getting up and walking around or try switching how you were laying down because it could just be how you were sitting.
    My real contractions started at 5am and they woke me up from a dead sleep. I knew they were real, they hurt enough to wake me up.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Some women can't tell the difference between braxton hicks and real labor until they are into active labor. You will know because the contractions become longer, stronger and closer together in real labor.

YOu can tell it's a BH contraction and not the baby pushing out because your whole belly will feel hard, whereas if it's the baby, only part of it will :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Well I have been feeling a lot of annoying cramps and like the baby is pushing down (which hurts) but until I cannot stand the pain is when I will go to the hospital. I'm due in 10 days and I'm dilated 2 cm and 80 effaced. I am sure you will know when the show is beginning.
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 1:58 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Braxton hicks feels like a tightening of the front of your stomach, sort of like the baby doing a complete turn around. Real contractions feel like menstrual cramps that usually (not always) start at your lower back and radiate around to the front of your lower abdomen. I've been getting both for about two months now but the BH has subsided and been taken over by real contractions lately. I'm 35 weeks now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2009