books on herbalism

suggestions for good books on herbalism? no i am not talking about anything pagan before someone asks..not that it would matter if i was. but i strongly believe in using natural and organic cures...tea's...steams etc. to cure ailments and strengthen/balance the body. falls under the same notion of a healthy balanced diet, many herbs can add very beneficial elements to your daily life but...you make the wrong tpe of tea you might be sitting on the potty for 2 hours or passed out when your supposed to be at a meeting lol. some may say its not spiritual..but i believe you have to maintain a healthy balance physically/mentally and emotionally....to reach your highest levels and balancing your body physically with herbs does help with that.

anyone have any suggestions for good books?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Rodales Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs, Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Herbs and Herb Gardening, and I lent my favorite to my sister and she never returned it :( I can't remember the name of it now. Rodales is pretty good, though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I really like "The Herbalist" by Joseph Meyer and reference it often. From the description:
    "The herbalist explains where different herbs grow; how to gather and prepare them; their medicinal values; and how to use them. Additional information has been added on beverage teas, spices and flavoring herbs, plant vitamins, plant dyes for fabrics, botanicals for dentifrices, gargles and cosmetics." It also has a very good illustrated section
    R_Kay

Answer by R_Kay at 12:20 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• The Herbal Handbook: A User's Guide to Medical Herbalism by David Hoffmann

Mastering Herbalism: A Practical Guide by Paul Huson

The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual by James Green and Ajana

The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines by Matthew Wood

Practical Herbalism: Ordinary Plants with Extraordinary Powers by Philip Fritchey

Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine: The Definitive Home Reference Guide to 550 Key Herbs with all their Uses as Remedies for Common Ailments by Andrew Chevallier

Herbalism: An Illustrated Guide by Non Shaw

Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family by Rosemary Gladstar

The Dictionary of Modern Herbalism by Simon Mills

The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation by Anne McInty

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My favorite non-pagan ones are:

The Complete Guide to Herbal Medicines by Charles W. Fetrow & Juan R. Avila

The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook by James A. Duke

The Herbal Drugstore by Linda B. White & Steven Foster

Prescription for Natural Cures by James F. Balch

Mosby's Handbood or Herbs & Natural Supplements by Linda Skidmore-Roth
    (yes, the same 'Mosby' books that nurses and doctors use)

If you're interested in Homeopathy, the one I really like is:

The Family Guide to Homeopathy by Andrew Lockie

If there is anything specific ailment you have questions about....I'm in a group that deals with natural cures and things. Or some of us can offer suggestions as to what 'we' do in that circumstance.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 2:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• One of them that I like a lot, that I didn't see mentioned above is called "The Maker's Diet" (it is NOT a diet book though, lol). It is about herbs, foods, hygene tips that naturally promote health and healing. It is written by a Christian Jew who studied the herbs, medicines, diet that God gave to the Jews in the Bible and how they have now been validated by science.

It is not only interesting but helpful. It tells you how to use hyssop, cinnamon, myrrh, frankinsence and many other herbs and essential oils. It is great. There is this whole chapter on the value of dirt (but it is really interesting I PROMISE!!! LOL)

This guy used all this stuff to heal himself from Chrohn's Disease. He almost died using western medicine, but once he began a natural route to healing, it was very effective and now he is SOOOO healthy. I love the book.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• That book is right up my alley, because I am super hippy, all natural, organic, hemp loving, clean living freak! I have been cheated by western medicine and I have gone back to God's way for health and healing -- using the things He created.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2009