how will I know when to go in?

I've been having some contractions lately. I know I'm supposed to go when they get close together but what if they don't hurt? they are mildly uncomfortable and don't stop if I move, but that's it. they are probably timeable but still far enough apart that I haven't started yet but they really don't hurt! if they don't get stronger do I still need to go in? as far as I know my mucus plug hasn't come out and my water hasn't broken either. thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you do lose your mucus plug or your water breaks, then go!

But sometimes those things won't happen until last minute. I assure you that your contractions will begin to hurt whenever it's time! :-)

Good luck and Congrats in advance!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Braxton Hicks contractions start in the belly first (a tightening of your belly). Actual labor pains start in the back and move around to the front. They do become painful. Braxton Hicks can also become painful. If you believe that you are in actual labor, call your doctor.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:53 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• When you get to the point that you have to stop and breath through them and you can't do normal activities, then go in. I personally waited longer (until my contractions were about 2 mins apart), but that is a good time. Go by what your BODY is telling you, not the clock.

p.s. water breaking doesn't mean you HAVE to go in. As long as you stick nothing up your vagina and you aren't running a fever, it is completely safe to stay home until your contractions become regular and/or stronger. I made the mistake of going in right away when my water broke without contractions and ended up with my OB forcing me into an unnecessary c-section :( If I had known what I know now, I would have just stayed home until my contractions started.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I'm 38 wks and feeling a LOT of cramps that start on my sides and then go to my lower abdomen. I am waiting until I literally have to breath slowly through them and I can't have conversation. I've lost my plug already and I'm 2cm dilated. She says its now up to the baby to start the labor process. I'm ready to go on maternity leave but don't want to waste 2 wks if he doesn't come yet so I'm TRYING to keep working but everyday I get lazier and lazier and today I went for only 4 hrs. :( Baby needs to come already, I wanna have him in my arms! :)
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 1:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Shamerika, you should really only be working a few hours a day, if possible. It doesn't sound like you're in labor or pre labor yet. You can lose your plug weeks before you give birth. Especially if this is your first, AS SOON as you feel a real contraction (you'll know b/c it will stop you from walking and talking or anything else you're doing at the time) head to the hospital. Our bodies just seem to tell us physically and usually mentally when it is TIME. Best of luck to you!
    Heidi70

Answer by Heidi70 at 2:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2009