Hi moms my daughter is five and weighs 68lbs i am very concerned about her weight she does not eat junk food and is very active her dr tells me not to worry because she is a little tall for her age but i know she is to heavy but i don't know what else to do any ideas?

lizzysmom83

Asked by lizzysmom83 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Listen as long as you know she's eating healthy and active I would not wrry too much about it, esp. since the dr. told you its okay. Everybody has a dif. frame and if you worry too much about it she's going to catch on and figure out that something is "wrong" with her appearance.
    You DO NOT want to give your child body image issues and all the incumbent issues that come with that (the low self-esteem, depression, eating disorders, body dismorphia etc.)
    So I'd suggest for your sake and you daughters you learn to be happy with her and her body.
    Keep making sure that the food you provide is healthy, that she's active (take her to lots of parks, pools, maybe sign her up for soccer, dance, gymnasitcs whatever she likes) and then just sit back and tell her everyday how absolutely gorgeous and yummy she is.
    (BTW, my daughter is also on the round side so I do understand your concerns and the above is what I remind myself everyday
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:07 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• How tall is she? If the Dr. tells you not to worry, I am assuming he would know better than anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It sounds like you are doing everything you can. If she eats healthy and doesn't eat junk food and very active, there's not much more you can do. She will grow out of it and if not than she's just going to be a bigger girl, nothing wrong with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• she is 48 inches
    lizzysmom83

Answer by lizzysmom83 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• That does seem a little tall to me but if you are concerned and you don't think your doctor is giving it enough attention can you get second opinion? My son only turned 4 in Jan he is at least 3ft 8in and its been a while since we measured him. He always seems stockier and taller than all his friends.
    MandyBliss

Answer by MandyBliss at 1:20 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• God made us in a different shapes & sizes. She eats healthy & is active so why worry about a number on a scale? Be thankful you have a healthy child. Don't give her a bad self image.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• So, she's 48 inches tall and is 68lbs. What is her frame? That has a lot to do with it as well. The doctor says not to worry, he's probably monitoring her...so just do what you are and give her good food and plenty of exercise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think that if she is active and eats healthy AND the doctor told you not to worry about it, then don't. Some people are just built differently. She might just be a little bigger than you would expect. Not a big deal. My daughter is 5 and small....only 39lbs. And the doctor told me not to worry about it--she too is active and doesn't eat all that much junk food. I wouldn't worry.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 10:06 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yep, as long as she really is eating healthy, not a lot of fattening foods and getting plenty of exercise then she is fine. Some people are just destined to be big and there is nothing you can do about it. Just like some people, like my daughter are destined to be tiny. She's 9 and 48" tall (the same as your daughter) and only 45lbs. She the smallest kid in her class (4th grade this year) and shorter then her younger brother and almost the same height as her younger sister (who is 2 years younger then her).
    My son is only 3" taller then your daughter and is 65lbs. He's skinny as heck but built solid.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2009