What's the point of taking kids somewhere fun just to be constantly yelling at them?

I try to take my kids somewhere fun several times a week to keep them entertained and give them a chance to play with other kids. We go to a weekly playgroup, playgrounds, indoor playplaces, etc. Almost every time we go to one of these places there is at least one mom who is constantly screaming at her kids as if they can't do anything right. I don't mean the kids are being bratty or mean to other kids, just regular playing around with other kids. But this mom has got to yell and yell until they finally just grab their kids and leave. I think they are using it as an excuse because they don't want to be there watching their kids, so they look for any reason at all to get the kids in trouble and leave. I see it over and over. They will show up, spend 5-10 minutes constantly yelling at the kids and then leave. What is the point of even going?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I see this alot to,but i think to myself i dont know her situation.Maybe they are under a lot of stress,having a bad day,expect kids to act more grown than they are,or they have a problem with depression and dont have the help and support they need to relax and let their kids be just what they are.Kids
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 2:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I see it too, I always feel the mother is having a bad morning or day or pmsing! Either way, at least she is watching her kid instead of just leaving them to beat up the rest! They need to relax and realise they can sit for a minute and let them enjoy themselves so they get sleepy and take a nice long nap ;)
    I prefer that mother over the ones who put their kids in one playroom, walk away and come back later however! Drives me INSANE when they do that!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:05 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Poor mom could have been yelled at as a kid and hasn't learned a healthier way to communicate. Or could have way more stress than you can imagine and not have any healthy coping mechanisms. Could have had a bad day at work or be in abusive relationship. Could be depression or anger management issues...Too many ifs to contemplate...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If they can't behave then they should not have the privilege of going.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2009