does slander make you better?

I was reading a post in a group(I am ready to leave) about God incorporated into our life. This post was about an atheist suing. Interesting debate that has been done a million times.

I started to notice a few moms from one religious group(not Christian) and a group of atheist started to pounce, rip and tear apart a Catholic mom and her friends. There was really no debating by this time. Comments like 'you will never get an answer' or ' back of the line' were thrown out. None of these comments added to a debate but only fueled hostility. This is not the first time I have seen this group of moms jump all over this other group of moms.

question: Does slander from one group because the other group did it first make them better? Is it justified? By saying the Christian mom started it or did it first does that justify harsh and cruel words? Or, as I think, are they all in need of a neutral corner?

drink-lover

Asked by drink-lover at 2:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's sad. What do you think those ladies would tell their children if they ran to them saying, "Mom, mom! Sara pulled my hair!"..."Well, SHE flicked me, SHE started it!" I seriously doubt their response would be to say that it was ok then because the second behavior was justified by the first.

Interestingly, I find that the best "arguers" are the ones who don't have to go that route. You can get your point across quite well without resorting to that type of behavior and the message doesn't get lost in the "muck".

whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:29 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Doesnt matter who slandered .. its not right period and should never make you better. It actually makes you look not so good. Its wrong however it is expected in the world and in christian groups where there are not many strong and God fearing Christians. Two wrongs do not make a right.
    I never understand why we have to slander, and if its grown women doing it ... I really dont understand why it is necessary. It only reminds me of how kids act in grade school through high school. It just doesnt look good and as a Christian slander is sin and God encourages us to speak life into a person's heart and spirit not slander... which only tears a person apart... it happens on this forum too. It is really sad !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:49 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think they might have mental problems. I realize people are passionate about their religion, but it seems pointless and dangerous when one doesn't have an open-mind. It's never stimulating to debate with somebody who is unfair and the debate/argument is futile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Wow what post is this. I don't believe in donominational churches but that doesn't give me the right to attack those that do. This group of friends sound like they need to remove the stick from their ass and they don't need to just attack others. Both groups are worng if they are both attacking or slandering the other,
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:01 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• We should never attack an individual, no matter what they believe (or don't believe). We do have to tell the truth (in love). It's said when people set out to attack people, people are NOT the enemy.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yeah I agree with the PP. That sounds like my kids....well, she hit me first, so I hit her back. Bottom line......NO matter what was done or said to us by other people, we are responsible for our OWN responses and actions. So when God gets in my business about what I did or most likely said that I shouldnt have, I cant use the excuse that someone else started it. That doesnt fly as an adult. No matter how antagonistic someone is to me, I have to account for MY behavior. Its that simple.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• All I have to say is, two wrongs NEVER make a right. Despite who drew first blood, it's never right, and really shows everyone's level of maturity. Is that how any of them, from either group want their children to see them behaving? To have them thinking it's acceptable to attack someone from a different belief system, simply because it's different from thier's? They'd all probably be horrified if it were their children,yet they think nothing of doing it themselves. Sounds like both sides need to step back,and take a long look in the mirror.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Listen, I'm in that group and I know who you are speaking of, and those 'Christian' people they are jumping all over are borderline raving religious lunatics, and that coupled with their paranoia about the government and Obama doesn't help matters. I have seen those woman time and again attack other people and justify it with their bible. They brought it on themselves by using their faith to spread hate, attack other faiths and after a while, people just can't take it anymore.

Does it make what the other mothers did acceptable? No, but they are not the only ones to blame.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:59 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Does slander from one group because the other group did it first make them better? No, nor does it make them worse.Is it justified? Some might say it depends on what was said but I don't think it is ever justified no matter Wwho started it. By saying the Christian mom started it or did it first does that justify harsh and cruel words? No, but we must also remember we reap what we sow.  If a Christian Mom starts out with Harsh, cruel words, it should be no surprise that she gets them in return. It doesn't make it right but it is to be expected. Or, as I think, are they all in need of a neutral corner?Time outs to calm oneself down is always a good option. That way we are able to think through our responses and word them as eloquently and peacefully as possible.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• ihartu- there you go adding to the slander.
    This situation seems to me that the group owner needed to step in post a warning and lock the post. But it was probably one that the cafemom team is running and they don't pay any attention and never lock a post.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2009