if moms blood type is ab negative and baby is b positive what would that make dad

i have asked a few questions about this but my grandson has been born now and we know his blood type is b+ and we also know my daughter is ab- does any one know what that would make the dads blood type? please someone help we are waiting for ever for ORS

mom19711969

Asked by mom19711969 at 3:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• There could be a few possibilities. I tried to google this, but can only find calculators that ask for the mother and father blood type. Sorry...I would get my books out, but it's too late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• The father would have to be B+, AB+ or O+. Those are the only possibilities. First off he has to be positive because the baby is. Second if he had type A blood the baby would have A or AB blood (depending on which the mom gave). If he was O and mom gave a B the B would dominate. If the dad was B and mom gave a B then of course the baby would be B. If dad was AB and mom is AB and they both give Bs it is the same scenario as the B blood type.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Purple ducky is right. There is more than one possibiltiy. My guess would be O pos. I have AB pos blood and my dh is O pos. Not sure what our kids are but they are all pos...thats for sure. AB is a fairly rare blood type. I studied this in the 8th grade and its literally all I remember....LOL..... Only 3% of the population has this blood type so its quite rare. My brother is ab neg too. People think that because of our rare blood type we should give blood, but thats not entirey true. A person who is AB can take A, B, AB and O. People who are O can only take O. So even while thats the most common, its also the most needed by blood banks. So let your daughter know how rare her blood type is!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human_bio/problem_sets/blood_types/inherited.html#calculator
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2009