Anyone here trying to...

find a job after few years of being off work? How did you find it? I find it a bit nerve breaking, I am a professional person or who used to be now I feel that I have lost all my self confidence and struggling to start. Any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• Although I might not be the best person to answer, I will at least attempt to offer some help. I too, am trying to get back to work, ( wow...what a time we chose, huh?) I would suggest a Temp agency just to get your feet wet again. It will allow you the time you need to adjust to your schedule all over again. I found that signing wiht a temp agency and accepting 2-4 workday assignments covering sick days or last minute emergencies was quite helpful, and not overwhelming at all! I'm a Realtor, and was surprised to find out that almost each profession, even mine...has temporary work agencies. These agencies not only train you, refresh you on what's been going on in your industry while you were away and provide a hassle-free way of obtaining work. They also provide you the freedom to step back into the work force at your own pace and on your own terms. I hope this is helpful to you, God bless....and let me know if it works
    meripnlbc

Answer by meripnlbc at 6:49 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• so after almost 6 monthsof temping, I have been able to add Leasing Consultant to my resume, and I went on my 1st interview last week! I feel very confident about getting this position, and because I had temp'd with 3 of the properties for this particular corporation, I was very familiar with their practices and confidently answered their specific questions regarding the company. Temping is also cheaper and faster than going back to school to refresh your skills ;-}
    meripnlbc

Answer by meripnlbc at 6:53 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Temping, as meripnlbc says, is an excellent idea. I was worried about what to do about work, too, since my professional skills were gone with the wind when my children started school. I was taking an aerobics class at the time, and one of the other ladies in the class was the head of a new group at the college and was looking for some people that worked well with others. She asked me if I would like to work with older people, and I jumped at the chance. She helped with some training and I worked hard to get further training, and 24 years later I am still on the job. I worried at first about changing professions, since I had spent so many years training for the old job, but I really liked the new job. Getting your foot in the door, like you do with temp jobs or part time jobs like mine is, is a good idea- it helps with confidence and contacts.

Answer by Bmat at 8:22 AM on Jul. 16, 2009