What's age appropriate reading material for a 3 year old?

What's age appropriate in books for a three year old girl whose been read to fairly consistently? I believe she's beyond board books, but my husband thinks she's even beyond Dr. Seuss in books like 'One Fish Two Fish'. What kind of books or stories would be more appropriate for her? Which authors?

mimismom436

Asked by mimismom436 at 6:59 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Go to the library and start taking out a bunch of children's books at a time. Read through the first dozen pages or so of each book before selecting it. Look for ones with more of a narrative line. Some will be duds (at least for now) and others will be hits, and you can try before you buy.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:13 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Look for the step in books. You can do the 2nd step probably but they go up to level 5 so there is lots for you to try. And I also agree with the other responder about using the library. Even my library that does not have as much as some has a good selection of early readers.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't believe in "age appropriate". I believe in "child appropriate".

My 5 year old is reading 8-10 year old science books, my 3 year old is reading books found in the 5-7 year old section, and my 2 year old is reading whatever he happens to pick up. LOL

If you want to keep her interest up, go to the library and experiment with different age levels and subjects. Go with HER flow.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:20 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree, it's not really about age but about comprehension levels! Good luck. Have you tried the longer Dr Suess books, like Oh the Places You'll Go and The Lorax? Have I Ever Told You.. is a good one too. My son loves Pinkilicious, Purplicious, and Goldilicious and Falling for Rapunzel. Libraries will save you a ton of money. ^_^
    Kodeekins

Answer by Kodeekins at 12:50 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My step son is 3 1/2 he loves Berenstein Bears (an ABSOLUTE childhood favorite of mine).He also likes Arthur books (it's a TV show that he knows, too). I usually will read to him what I enjoyed as a child. The way I see it is even if it's just a bit beyond his grasp it still gives a great oppurtunity to talk about the topics presented. That's why I love Berenstein Bears so much they cover SO MANY topics! Bubba loves to look at the back cover that shows other Berenstein Bears books that we can read in the future. He loves the library we borrow more books then we buy :)

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:07 AM on Jul. 17, 2009