pumped milk...

i am trying to pump milk and freeze it because my mm is babysitting on saturday, but i am only getting like an ounce each time..no idea why. can she unfreeze a couple of bags at once and put them in one bottle? all of it will have been pumped and frozen this week.
also, my dad suggested maybe adding a little formula to the ounce of pumped milk...is that even allowed? i guess he figured that she's going to HAVE to eat...so it might work..?

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 7:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes to all of it. Breastmilk is like cow's milk just from humans. You can do what ever is best for you. I had the same problem with only getting an ounce or two at a time, it has nothing to do with supply. I figured the vaule that controls the exit is just tight. I found that pumping the half an hour before my daughter woke up I got 3-5 ounces. Don't worry if you drain them in the morning your body will just make more for your baby.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• You don't have to freeze the milk right away.. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or so before freezing. So you can save up a whole bag before freezing the milk.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:48 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yes to all of it. Make sure the milk is about the same temperature when you mix it. So you can put in the fridge for the day while you pump at differnt times and then pour them together at the end of the day and then freeze. Also, you can mix the formula separate and if your milk isn't enough, then offer a bottle of formula or you can add some formula to the breastmilk. When I supplimented, we did a certain time on each breast, then 2 oz of weight gain formula to pack on the pounds.

Also, try putting a warm compress on your breast about 10 minutes before you pump to help with letdown. You migh be able to get more that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Ok you can put the ounces int he fridge and combine together same temp milk fromt he same day to store in the freezer or in the fridge for 5 day no problem...1 ounce a time is not bad actually, remember she only needs 1 oz an hour while you are gone...that is perfect for her so every 2 hours she'd need 2 oz. I wouldn't add formula...one formula is VERY different than breastmilk, it can help bacteria grow so if you add it to the bottle and your baby doesn't finsh that bottle it all has to be thrown away, whereas if its all BM then she doesn't finish it just has to be used in 24 hours...instead of 1 hour. Use all BM bottles and if by chance you run out THEN use all formula bottles...but if you are only one a small time nurse before leaving leave 1 oz an hour and nurse when you return no need for formula
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Tabi's right. As a former working and EBF mom I have to agree. One ounce at a time is GRAND! It seems so inadequate whenwe see FF moms with these huge effortless bottles of formula, but our little breastfed babies tummies are usually a little smaller because we don't meter their eating.

An ounce an hour is wonderful. Just remember that rule. So if you're gone for three hours, three ounces! Five hours, five ounces. Just remember you'll have to pump if you're gone for more than a few hours depending on the age of the baby. I always brought mine with me if I have to go anywhere.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 1:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree with Tabi too. I once asked DD's pedi about mixing formula with breast milk ( I exclusively pumped for 4mos) and she said no way. Breastmilk is digested differently then formula is and mixing them together can confuse their little systems. If you have to I would do a whole breastmilk bottle OR a whole formula bottle.
    MommyFlood

Answer by MommyFlood at 2:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2009