Reflux?? I'm not so sure...

My 2 month old son has this really frustrating habit of whipping his head from side to side when we're trying to feed him and then getting upset when the bottle comes out of his mouth. He's not consistent with this, some feedings go absolutely fine, others take up to an hour because of this issue. The pediatrician says reflux and put him on Prevacid (which he's been taking for 5 days), but the only symptom he's showing of reflux is the irritability during feedings. He doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort, he just turns his head back and forth. He only occasionally spits up, there's no blood in his stool. To me, it seemed like more of a behavioral thing. Has anyone else had a problem like this? It's really frustrating for everyone; me, him, dad. We really gotta get this sorted out, quick. Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated.

MissPixiePaige

Asked by MissPixiePaige at 7:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds more to me that he might not like the kind of bottle nipple you use or maybe he's not very hungry yet when he does this. Also could the milk be to hot sometimes? Just some thoughts. It doesn't sound like a reflux thing. I think that's what all doctors say when babies are that little.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If the irritability during feedings is consistent, yes it can be reflux. There are varying degrees. I mean the doctor would know after getting the results of the tests back. So if he prescribed something based on those results...he probably needs the meds.

The head thrashing...just stop trying to give him the bottle for a bit. It could be as simple as he learned he can do it...and now he needs to learn that he can do it, but not during feedings! lol So, take the bottle away and when he acts hungry again, give it back. He thrashes his head, take it away, etc. He'll catch on (yes, babies do learn)

Other ideas:
    needs a faster flow nipple
    if powdered formula, it's not mixed right
    too hot/too cold
    not hungry (like if you're using the clock and not his cues)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My DD has reflux and that DOESN'T sound like anything with what my DD went though. It sounds like maybe the nipple your useing may not be flowing fast enough for him or maybe to fast. Or his not hungry, the bottle maybe to hot/cold, the forumla your useing maybe not mixed up all the way. I would look at all these things and see if any of these are the issue.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:07 AM on Jul. 16, 2009