Do you think we would have genuine "peace" on earth(and to everyone)if there is no religion?

many questions were posted in this category and have read answers from Christians,Pagans, Atheist etc....and there is conflict and unending discussion!.... I was raised by Catholic parents but i only learned one thing from my parents.."Respect all people their religion and what they believe in so that there would be peace to all!

jayzs

Asked by jayzs at 8:11 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Uh no, we wouldnt. If we werent fighting about religion, we would be fighting about other things. Religion doesnt make people better people. They just are people with hurts and insecurities and the saying goes...hurting people hurt people....well, its true. You can have a relationship with God without religion but lets just say for instance there wasnt anyone who believed in God...well, then even the little bit of good in people would be gone. People are always going to clash over opinions, beliefs, morals, principles, and property. With or without religion. I would rather see religion be gone anyway.....that way, theres nothing left but relationship.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:29 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• That question basically implies that Religion is the cause of all the World's problems, and that's just not so. For the people that use Religion to spread hate, argue, fight etc., if you took religion away, they'd just find something else to fight about.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I have to say that I think religion is main cause of all problems in the world. From wars, to corrupt governments, cults, suppression- the list goes on... I do agree that if you took it away, people would find something else to fight about because deep down all people are selfish and want to be right, and there are always those willing to take advantage of the weak to further their agendas. Peace on earth is a pipe dream.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:38 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Nope!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• No, I don't think there would be Peace. We actually just had this in a post a few days ago... There would still be government, land to fight over, race issues and such. But I do think it would be a much better world than we have today. Religion has given people an out. "Why did you kill that girl? Oh, She was a Witch/Christian/Prostitute. And they have a party, not a trial. Charleminge is held on high as one of the Greatest Rullers Ever. He is seen as the "savior of Christianity." Yet, we are talking about a man that killed 4500 people in one day because they were creamating a body, a "pagan" ritual. And there are many strories like that one down through history. Like it was, and is, okay to kill, rape and mame those that don't worship your god. But as people we are going to find that "out" somewhere. If not religion, land or something else. Peace on earth is only atainable through knowledge.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• No. Without God,there can never be true peace. In fact,one of my favorite sayings is: "No God, no peace, Know God, Know peace." It's so very true. And, I pray that someday, we can achieve peace,but I just don't know.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Its inherent human nature to fight. Its in every animal's instinct to gain territory, and protect its own above all else. Religion is just a branch of that instinct. We want to preserve our own culture. Religion was often used as an excuse as well to gain more land, and money by powerful sects of Christianity (and possibly other religions as well.. I just don't have any particular references for any other). There are no animal groups that are inherently and completely "peaceful". If there were, they became extinct a long time ago. Humans are no different; we still possess those same instincts for survival. Like it or not, peace on Earth is not evolutionarily sound, and cannot happen.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:31 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• No.
    Religion has been a constant since the begining of time..if we destroyed it with one generation, it would just pick up with the next...the need to believe in something is part of human nature.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:40 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• No
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• We might have the peace of the dead - or, more likely, the peace of the horrifically oppressed who fear to say or do anything. Just look at Stalin's atheist, communist USSR to see what it might be like. Without religion there is nothing to curb man's inherent aggression or inspire love. There is no force demanding that men put the needs of others first. There is no absolute morality but, rather, an easily rationalized "relative" morality - changeable with every whim or the shifting of malleable public opinion. Religion is the best force to encourage man to care for others and stand against evil, even though he lose everything, including his life, in the effort. Religion is the one force that teaches the certainty of something greater than ourselves and a life worth living beyond the limitations of our earthly existence.

Jovaiel

Answer by Jovaiel at 10:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2009