Do you think that Autism is a "thing" of the Americans?

The other day I was talking with a professor who said that Autism is the "thing" that these days Americans have decided to blame for their children's failing in school.
Schools Districts are going "bankrupt" dealing with obsessed parents who want therapies to remediate the problem.
Meanwhile children who in reality have a the condition of Autism never get their therapy.

Ps I'm talking about what parents call "a mild case of Autism"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• 2:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 by: Anonymous

i agree that it's the new ADHD...and i think that some of the real severe cases get neglected because everyone is trying so hard to make their kid be mildly autistic so they can explain why their kid is doing bad in school...im sure it could have nothing to do with the lack of parental help with homework or discipline...

Have you considered getting yourself tested? A decided lack of empathy is often a telling sign of ASD. You should definitely look into it.

FYI, I never needed help with homework, and there was plenty of discipline for my quirks...that just didn't stop them, because it's not stuff I do because I want to. Much of it, I don't even know I'm doing until people start bitching and complaining about it.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It's the new ADHD.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:38 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree to a point... I have a degree to work with special needs children. Some of the "cases" I have seen where the child is on the spectrum, I want to say........."What?!?!?!" One thing I don't think people want to remember or deal with is this.........children are meant to be full of life and energy. And sitting at a desk for 2 hours straight is bound to cause problems, even in the best of kids. Any smart teacher would let the kids get up for a break, even 3 minutes, do some stretches as a class or walk a few circles around the room. But then again, what do I know? lol
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 8:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree. People try to find and excuse for why their children act the way they do and why they don't do as well as other children do. And ADD ADHD and autism are the things that parents know about that contributes to children having a hard time learning. And it is sad that instead of helping their children try to do better they find an excuse and make it that much harder for the children that have these conditions.

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I'm with wheepingchree. If a child is failing it must be the school right?
    Parents need to stop blaming someone or something and get to work with the child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Being that I dont know much about Autism, I cant make a determination about that, but I do think there are SOME instances where its more about lack of consistent parenting and discipline that causes bad behavior and parents want to label it ADHD so they can get out of taking responsibiltiy. NOT all cases are that easy. I had a neighbor who had both boys diagnosed with ADHD in the 1st grade or so. I spent time at her home just chatting with her. She screamed, yelled and smacked on them all the time. There was tons of dysfunction in the home and they ate HORRIBLY. Lots of processed food, red dyes and sugar. I am fine with my kids having treats but this was a lifestyle. No wonder they acted so badly. There was no discipline. Then on the other hand, my nephew is a one of a kind kid. Hes likely on the autism spectrum and hes literally a genius. My brother disciplines him religiously and he still has behavior problems in school. ???
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:49 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• NO. I have two children with autism. My older is moderately affected, in a special class at school with 7 other kids with autism and 3 teachers. There's no question that he has autism.
    My younger son with autism is 9. Would YOU know he has autism - probably not. And that's where the problem lies. All of the people who think that autism is overdiagnosed because THEY don't see the problem do not live in the homes with these children. They do not know the lengths I go to to find clothes that not only look "in" but also are tolerable for him to wear. They do not know the hours we have spent organizing his schoolwork in the afternoons, that I used to write a schedule for him and have taught him to write his own schedule. He is classified AG with a very high IQ, but he has definite isses - he just has the IQ that enables him to deal with them effectively.

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Your professor is touched in the head. He's full of bull puckey. So are the rest of those who don't believe autism is as prevalent as it is.

Those who say such things have obviously not dealt with children with Autism. My son DOES have what you would call a "mild" case. He's at the top, "high functioning". He does need help with certain issues...social skills and impulse control being the biggest of his problems. He's a young child with the brain of a much older child. He has a lot of trouble getting his body to do what his brain tells him he should be able to do, gets frustrated easily and has sensory trouble as well. He needs more help than what just I can give.

A parent can't just claim autism for their kid when there's school trouble. There is testing and evaluations before a diagnosis is given, and schools do not provide services without a diagnosis.

Your professor is a moron.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Well said missanc!!
    Do you other posters realize that Autism is a Spectrum Disorder-- it is unique and not a 'cookie cutter disorder'. That means that not everyone is the same, what my son does your child may/may not do. My son has high functioning Autism-- so to the outside world he looks and seems 'normal' (he makes eye contact, he is verbal, he is very smart), but the outside world does not know what it is like. He has sensory issues, he can't wear certain clothes, he is bothered by light and noise. He has meltdowns, he needs to have things organized and just so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yes, I agree wtih missanc, and anon 8:18, anon 8:19!
    My son is disagnosed with Aspbergers-- high functioning autism. I think you ladies hit it on the head- - cheers to you!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:22 AM on Jul. 16, 2009