What side are we suppose to put

DD on in the car? We just bought a convertible carseat for DD, who is still rearfacing. We own a Ford Explore with split seats. 2/3 and 1/3. We've always put her in the middle, and rolled a towel in the crack, just incase the base slipped over. I guess since her new seat is bigger, the carseat sits in the crack & leans! So we haven't went anywhere yet, because I'm so paranoid about her falling over, and even more scared about putting her beside a door! But we have a vacation coming up, so I need to know what side we are suppose to put her on. DH says we need to put her on the passenger side because he can't scoot his seat back if she's behind him... I don't know tho... Is there a law about what side she has to be on?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 8:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she can be on either side my DD sits on the opposite side from my drivers door so i can reach her if need be (if she crys) but if you have a burlington coat factory saw a nifty thing.. its a foam piece to help fix that gap its a filler that goes on the carseat
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 9:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• You're never supposed to put a carseat on a split to begin with.

Put her one either side...not in the middle.

No there is not a law about where in a vehicle to put a seat. Mine were always on the other side because I couldn't put the seat back far enough to drive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• no laws. just put where convienent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• She can be on either side. On the pasanger side is best because if your driving my yourself you can give her someting if she needs it and youll be able to adjust the seat so you are comfortable to drive. With the carseat i have sitting in the pasanger seat can get uncomfortable with my son in the car because how big our carseat is and we have a small little car. But if it was behind the drivers side my husband wouldnt be able to drive. I know its scarry to have your child by the door because of car accidents but thats what the car seats are for to protect them as much as possiable. I only have a 4 seater and its a small car so it scares me sometimes just be careful when your driving =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Okay...first of all....stop the paranoia. Its going to be fine. If your husband needs more leg room, then its best to put her behind your seat. If youre the one that drives this vehicle during the week, then put her on the other side. That way, when its just you and her, you can see her and she can see you. If for some reason you have to hand her a cup or something while you are sitting at a stop light, you will be able to reach her easier. When shes FF anyway. If hes driving then she needs to be on that side anyway. So passenger side sounds best for you. I have moved my son a few times. I had him on the passenger side and when I began dropping the kids off at school, they needed to get out on that side so I moved him behind me. I just look in the mirror to see him and I can reach my hand behind my seat if I need to, but usally hes fine. If you have a seat that flips up on the side, then she needs to be on the other side.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:13 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If you cant do the middle, i would say do the side you can reach best... Cause you know even though some will say other wise, you will be reaching in the back while you are driving handsdown..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 9:25 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Thanks everyone :) DD is my first baby, can't you tell?, lol.

@preggoinmn- Thanks for the info! I'll have to look for that!!!

@ Anon :08- I never did put her "on" the split. Her carseat was small enough that it sat perfectly in the middle with the base... The rolled towel was only there to make me more comfortable with it... :)

@ArlieBeeMee- I'll be the first to admit I reach in the back while I'm driving. lol, there's nothing worse than driving down the road with a screaming child. :) Everyone does it, just not everyone admits it, lol. :)
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 9:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• She will fit best in the middle and it's safer. If she is leaning you haven't got the seat tight enough. It shouldn't move at all. If you can't get a tight install in the center I would try behind the passanger seat... but again it shouldn't lean. If you can't get a tight install that way then bring back the seat and get something else.
    I would see if you can find someone to help you install your seat. And also join one of the carseat groups on cafe mom. They might have some tips and tricks to getting a good install with the seat you own.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2009