Can a father use the law to prevent the mother from having an abortion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A lot of people are assuming that all pregnancies happen due to promiscuity or irresponsibility. That is not always the case. There are instances of rape or incest where the woman didn't have a chance to use BC. Like I said before, I would hate to think that an attacker or abuser could further victimize a woman by forcing her to carry his child. Keep in mind that most rapes are perpetrated by someone who knows the victim. He might easily paint an image of a consensual encounter when in fact she was forced.

Like I said before, the reason that men don't have the choice is because it is considered a medical decision for legal purposes AND because there are too many openings for hairy court cases. Making it solely the woman's choice just makes things more clear for the law.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• He is no a "father" since the child is not even born. I guess the man can't do anything. But he could try to talk to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• if they are married yes he could if not married then no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Currently there are no laws protecting the father's life. It's actually really sad in some cases. I spoke with a woman who volunteers at a crisis center one time and she told me a really heart breaking story about just this sort of situation. The father has no rights until the child is born, before that the child is legally considered a part of the mother's body and so no one else can make decisions about him/her.

In the particular case I am talking about above the young girl's mother brought her across state lines to a clinic that provides late term abortions. The girl's mother said that if she didn't have the abortion done she's kick her out of the house. The young father was totally devastated and totally powerless to stop it. I think she was about 8 months pregnant at the time.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My brother tried, but it didn't work out. He was engaged. They willingly had a sexual relationship. She got pregnant. Around the 10th week of pregnancy she decided she didn't want to marry my brother and that she was going to get an abortion. He and our family pulled legal resources together and it got us nowhere. So she was able to wipe the slate clean, in her mind. Abortion as birth control is horrendous.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• "Currently there are no laws protecting the father's life"

Sorry I meant "protecting the father's rights." My mind is mush from being up all night with my teething toddler.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:16 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Nope nothing a father can do. It all boils down to her body her rights. I wish that some fathers had that right but till they change things thats how its going to be and i dont see it happening that they wont let a woman get an abortion because the father wants to keep it. they wont take that right away from a woman like that.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't think the men even need to know, in most cases...it's none of their business...
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:25 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

This is an idiotic statement, imo.  Thenwhy have sex with them, if you aren't in a committed, strong relationship where you can talk openly.  Sounds like your priorities are OFF....

To answer OP~ They should have some rights. It takes two. To think there are men out there who WANT to be engaged parents and woman (like Yoshi) will f*ck them without any forward thought of being a responsible adult in a mature committed relationship strong in communication.. Truly a sad soul.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:32 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I'm not going to let ANY man tell me what I can or can't do with my body, thanks...sorry that you think you should have to be controlled by your man...

And good for you that you're in such an open, lovely, perfect relationship...just like everyone else on the planet...get real.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 9:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2009