daycare worries

how do you know which daycare 2 use im scared out of my mind to let a stranger watch my child plus i have friends whos daycare was hurting his child

mrspatterson20

Asked by mrspatterson20 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to understand that injuries, abuse, etc. at day care are actually quite rare if it is a good day care. Yes it can happen anyhere, but it can happen at home too, so it's not practical to worry about it.

I recommend finding a clean day care which separates the kids by ages (my day care separeates classes by 6 months so my daughter is in the young 2 class right now) and has age approrpiate toys. Then just stop by. Not first thing in the morning, lunch/nap or at closing, though. Stop by between 9 and 11 or 2 and 4 when kids are playing and teachers are busy. Then you can see how they interact with the kids, if any of the kids might be cuasing problem, and if they clean after diapers/potty.

It's hard to know which day care is "best" but you can usually tell the bad ones from the good ones as they will be dirty, kids just running around, no structure, etc. And if you get a bad feeling, trust it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• call your local DHS office and see about the complaint they have had, plus they do checks and its all public record, this way you will know what has been going on and they wont have to know you are snooping around on them.. stop by at diff times and see whats going on there, always forget a paper or something you will need, this way it agian doesnt look bad..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 9:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't know at all. I was faced with having to put my son in daycare at 16 months old and thought the same thing. I was terrified! I put him in a daycare 4 star rating center because I just didn't have the time to research and interview the way I needed to feel comfortable. I am very lucky I have my mother available to pick him up and watch him 1 day a week as I can only afford to have him go part time at the center because its 2 times more expensive than a home daycare but I would rather pay 2 times then worry all day everyday. I know that's not possible for everyone but there are ways to find out where are licensed daycares in your area's and get reviews about them and then... I guess its like anything. you don't really know until they go there how it will be.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2009