How much should my dd charge for babysitting?

My 13 1/2 yo dd has started babysitting for our neighbor. He's going to school, so this will be an almost daily thing (we're in an apartment building so I'm always nearby if needed). The kids are 2 and 4. Her responsibilities also include naps and meals, depending on time of day.

What is an appropriate amount for her to charge. She was thinking she would get $10 for 4 hours, but if it were me, I would be paying at LEAST $5-6/hour. What do you think is a fair rate?

DaffysDoll

Asked by DaffysDoll at 9:14 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The girls who babysit from my church only charge $5 and hour.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 9:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If she is going to have the kids nearly every day, it should be by the day not by the hour IMO..

How about asking the children's parent how much they feel she should be paid?

$10 for 4 hours is a good thing, that's $20 if it's an all day (8 hour thing).. That is what i'd be willing to pay. Not sure i'd be paying a 13 year old the same I would be paying an adult to babysit my kids (Around here most private daycares are $5-8 an hour)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My dd will often come home with 75-100 for an evening if it was daily it would be less but 10for 4 hrs including meals isn't enough I made the in the early 80s
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 9:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i ay if it a monday through fri deal give the a amount too pay her weekly .. 65 dollars a wk not bad for two kids and she is making mney and that helpn parnets out too .. think they have two kids there trynb too support.. also the 2 yr old is potty trained or not ..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I watch two little boys on ocasion same ages 2 and 5 and I charge $30 for about 5 hours. I do evenings though....I would still charge about $20 for 4 hours in the daytime though.
    littleguys_rule

Answer by littleguys_rule at 9:31 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i pay for 6am-6pm $75 a week, if that helps, if hes just doing some a day give a rate of $15 perday..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 9:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I always paid 5 per hour per kid. But I read that the going rate for babysitting is 5 an hour for the first kid, and then an extra dollar an hour per additional kid. But yeah I think it's up to the parents too on what they're willing to pay.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My 13 year old is a Red Cross certified (CPR and first aid) babysitter. She charges $7 an hour for one or 2; $8.50 for 3.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:57 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I paid 8.00/hr for the girl that used to watch our oldest. Usually she watched him when we went out and for no more then a few hours at a time. I would pay 10.00/hr for someone to watch 2 kids.. ecspecially such young kids!
    squidlife4me

Answer by squidlife4me at 5:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Man, I must've been greedy then...back in my babysitting days I wouldn't work for less than $8 per hour! (then again, it was always for multiple kids.) Extra charges for extra kids (if their friends were there, etc.) or for very young/rowdy kids.

One summer babysitting job I had once was three kids for ten hours a day, two days per week. I was paid a flat rate of $100 per day, except for one day when there were extra kids there, in which case I got $130.

But I digress...

If it's a daily thing, I would charge a flat rate of $20-25 per day.

If it's a once in a while thing, I would charge by the kid, by the hour, $5 per kid per hour.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2009